Monday, July 30, 2012

Week of Polka Dots!

As we are looking at the J.Crew new fall arrivals I have to remember what I already have. And I definitely have enough polka dots. The week before my vacation I decided to wear polka everyday. Do you ever do that? Set up weekly themes for yourself? I do because it helps me to get dressed in the morning. It is a little silly I know. But then, why not?


Last years polka dot blouse with scout chinos, elephant necklace and Boden espadrilles.


***


All Madewell, silk skirt and tee shirt, plus Kate Spade bag and J.Crew pom pom ballets.
This was a very easy breezy outfit. It was 100F but I felt OK in this skirt. Well, almost. This was the day when I went to see the fall arrivals and I forgot to turn my A/C in the car on Full Auto, so it never got cold enough, I was dying. My husband could not understand how I did not notice that the A/C was not on. But I was so preoccupied with the new arrivals...


***


I worked from home and I went to drop off a casserole at the church so I asked my daughter for a few nicer pictures. A little better background don;t you think?


***

This is an old dress from Banana Republic. For some time I could not figure out how to wear it without looking like I stepped out from the fifties. Then I realized that black accessories did the trick for me. They toughened it up a bit making it more my style. It has pockets, knee length, it is 100% silk with cotton lining and it has dots! This dress is one of the reasons I never contemplated big shot dress. I figured I already have a big shot dress that I don;t wear enough.  



This was taken right after work but the there wasn't enough light so the pictures are a little hazy.  





***



At some point I was trying to sell this jaquard dot skirt on JCA exchange but it had no takers so I decided to wear it, I was too lazy to list it on ebay. This is one of a very few pencil were I took size 2. My tee shirt is from Loft (old) and aren't those pink Valentinas great? They go with everything. 

***
This is my casual Friday outfit, J.Crew chambray polka dot perfect shirt, worn over Jenny dress that I bought last year for under $20. It is a cut easy knit dress, it has pockets and good length and one of a very few dresses in which I am wearing size 4. I am also wearing Pierra ballet flats that are one of the most comfortable shoes I own.


***
That's all folks!

Are you all polka dotted out at this point?

Do you ever have a theme for your outfits?

***

I will be back withs some vacation photos. I survived the camping trip and I actually enjoyed it a lot.
Every morning I went for coffee to the little store at the campground.  I sat on the deck in the Adirondack chair and I read all you comments and most blogs I keep up with.  It was always a treat. I did not have enough time to reply to all and in general I tried to stay away from my phone but thank you for stopping by and reading!

***

27 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Good thing you kept the size 2 skirt- that is my favorite of the outfits you posted. I love the colors and the contrasting shoes. The Piera shoes are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, I love this skirt but for some time I could not figure out what to wear it with.

      Delete
  2. No polka dots for me ever but I saw lots of polka dot shoes and booties this weekend from Chie Mahara and thought of all the JCA's who love dots and the brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and of course you're going to tell us where you saw all these goodies?

      Delete
    2. Polka dotted shoes! That's something I still don't have, hmmm...

      Delete
  3. Welcome back and I'm glad you survived camping! I don't own much with polka dots, just 2 J. Crew dotted button downs. Then I stopped by Old Navy last week and picked up their polka dotted sweater. I am not sure polka dots are my thing so the Old Navy version will be a good way for me to road test a sweater without a big investment. Your outfits are great, I can't choose a favorite out of these. I really like them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ON is great for testing out trends. And you know, some of those cheapo items survived my most expensive ones.

      Delete
  4. welcome back, we're planning a family trip to an island with woods and trails, that's as close as I can get Himself, and he's already suggesting we organize things to do like breakfast, lunch, dinner in restaurants. I don't think he's gotten the idea yet.
    Polka dots make me think of dancing to oom-pah bands, which is on the list of things I somehow just don't get to do any more. Best exercise ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred I like that Himself just won't tolerate bad food and refuses to acknowledge that food is not an event!

      Delete
    2. wff, I am not very hard core either, we mostly ate in restaurants I have to admit, except for breakfast and making s'mores.

      Delete
  5. I have vowed no more polka dots, I have enough on my shoes and then on my last J Crew order I snuck in a pair of polka dot socks, tricking myself!

    I also like this theme method for getting dresses, I think of it as harmless entertainment!

    I only went canoe-camping one time, it was really quite fun but I didn't feel very well... we came home and I realized I was pregnant with my 10yo. We haven't been since but are thinking of it for next year.
    Oh and on that trip I was super-mad at MrBP for drinking ALL of the wine by himself the first night, but in the end he saved me from being a pregnant drunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we are actually staying in a Lodge with Beds and Bedding and Plumbing, while the younger generation does whatever they want in nearby woods and water. I have been told there will be camping, and cooking out to which we'll be invited, and am wondering if I can still build a one-match fire. Come to think of it, I'm wondering if anyone can!

      Delete
    2. And good for Mr BP, I often think that because men don't believe in intuition, they deny having acted upon it. Lovely that you were protected.

      Delete
    3. no more polka dots for me either!
      That was good luck for you not to get drunk in early days of pregnancy but I did not have problems with occasional glass of wine while pregnant both times, that's the European way...

      Delete
  6. That dot skirt Jaquard outfit is my favourite on you, perfect with the t and those gorgeous pink shoes. I love dots but only have onered and cream dot blouse which somehow I never get round to wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jody, your blouse sounds so pretty, you have to give it a try!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back, ajc! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

    I love all of these looks on you, but the Jacquard dot skirt is my absolute fave! WOW...does it ever look gorgeous on you! You should definitely put that one into rotation more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you FFM, I have to wear it more often, it is a subtle way to do polka dots.

      Delete
  8. ajc, I agree with everyone else that the dotted jacquard skirt looks amazing. It's fate that it didn't sell on the weekly exchange! Seriously, that outfit is HOT!

    I own the big shot dot dress, the scatter dot, and myriad other polka dotted items of clothing. I have always loved polka dots and I think I can still pull them off. I just love all of your outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a long time I did not wear any polka dots because my mom used to wear them all the time but recently I succumbed to their charm and of course overdosed immediately.
      Thank you for the compliments!

      Delete
  9. CONNECT THE DOTS AJC, had to post and let you know it comforts that I'm not the only sometime "theme/ colour week" dresser (stripes, chambray, mini-florals, dotty). It helps me speed through closet, wear things I've collected and not change bags daily. Your BR keeper is as lovely as this summer's versions and good on your for closet shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only one and I do it for exactly the same reasons, funny how our minds work in similar way :)

      Delete
  10. Love love love this! Polka dot week is a fabulous idea :) I adore that you have so many items. I know I could definitely go quite a few days with all my dotty items.

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasia, maybe we should do blog/reader challenge with themed outfits...

      Delete
  11. I love these polka dot outfits!

    I actually and crazily bought another navy polka dot Blouse. Stll has the tags on and I am contemplating returning, though it is different from the other and very elegant. I am planning to sit out the polka dot tippi craze. When my daughter and I saw those cute polka dot navy ballets with the red patent toe cap the first thing she said was "Look, Minnie Mouse left her shoes at JCrew"! Thank God she was there, I might have taken them! As I keep telling you AJC, I must fight constantly to stay on the straight and elegant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Popped by GSP today. The items which caught my eye were the same ones you reviewed ( of course!). I love that color block tank, but it is pricey. They had the embroidered knit top in black. I think they sold out of the ivory. I took a closer peek at the spectator shoes, and was delighted that they were leather lined. No one knew the price, but the guesses were in the $225 + again too pricey. I don't know how I missed the fact that you reviewed that zebra shirt. The colors are fab , and I am not really a fan of brown near my face, but the navy band changes everything!

    ReplyDelete