Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dresses


Interesting colorblock shift
I spotted this colorblock shift in the window display.  I don't have any details but it looks interesting. Sorry for the bad pictures. The dress was navy with rust sleeves and pink lining or cuffs, not sure which.

Blazer and capris in pink herringbone
This is a blazer I mentioned in my Monday's post when I reviewed the matching capris.

***

Here are the dresses I actually managed to try on:

Zigzag sequin dress
Zigzag sequin dress
Size Medium, runs big

This dress looked intriguing on the mannequin, so I wanted to give it a try. I am not big on sequins but I thought this could be a nice dress for a Holiday party. I grabbed a Medium but it was big and baggy, especially in the hips. I would need a small. I could have asked for another size but this dress had another, bigger problem. It was very itchy. It really should have been lined, it felt like a torture device and I could not wait to get it off. Too bad because it might have been an interesting dress. 

Not even on sale
I hate to say it but I am afraid the zigzag pullover that many of you liked might have the same problem.

***


Allie dress
Allie dress

I did not think this dress would work for me but it was hanging next to the fitting room, so I took it with me as well.

Size 6, TTS to small
The color is very pretty and the shape is flattering to my surprise. Size 6 was a rather close fit and I would like to try an 8, for a comparison. My guess is that the 6 looks better, but the 8 would feel better. The waist was in a correct place and while the dress is on a shorter side, it was longer that I anticipated from the website and catalog pictures. There was plenty of room in the hips but it looks intentional. Pick the size to fit your chest.

nice fit

The seaming at the chest is not visible in my the pictures but it works! It makes the dress look nicely tailored. It is 100% wool and, I if you don;t mind shorter length, it is a very nice dress. Maybe the hem can be let down a little?  I did not check. Other colors are also interesting, especially roccoco red and festival blue.


***
The last dress I tried is Jules dress is snowcat.

Size 8, TTS
This is another iteration of mod shift. I like the shape but it is nothing new.  The 8 was quite loose and maybe 6 would be a better fit. Again, this is a shorter dress, so you have to be comfortable with the length. I did like the pattern a lot, I thought it was very flattering. The dress was $188 and it is 100% rayon (boo!). If you prefer silk, the striped Jules is a better option. They also had them in solid green, in a fabric that looked like wool.

$188. Too bad it is not silk.

***
That's all folks!


Do you plan on buying a dress this fall? 
Do you like any of the dresses I reviewed?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

I'll have reviews of some cashmere, new peplum jacket and more tomorrow! 


***
I am on vacation this week. I am not sure if I have access to the Internet but I will eagerly anticipate your comments and I will try to respond to you but my replies may be delayed

***

14 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't need any dresses, things I need for the autumn/winter are flat ankle boots to cover my cold ankles -I wear the toothpick cords and love them but flats and no socks is a no no here after late September. A good quality, probably Brora cashmere jumper. That's my needs and then there will be all my wants but even then I'm going to try to be careful and not make wasteful purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in the Allie dress. I wonder if it could be worn with boots in winter or if it needs a more delicate shoe.

    The lengths keep me from buying most J. Crew dresses. I love a shift, but they are usually too short on me, and I am only 5'4". The Jules dresses are too short.

    That is too bad the sequin dress isn't lined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous in the Allie dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded. Great color, too. I'd buy it for work if it wasn't so short.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for another set of reviews. While I did not like any of these dresses for myself, let me just say they all looked fabulous on you! Your reviews are really helping me plan my fall purchases carefully. From your reviews, I have so far seen more misses than hits with this rollout. Not a good sign for Mora's initial efforts but on the positive side, I'm quite looking forward to a lot more savings for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the reviews. I am sorry the Jules dress is rayon. I think the Allie dress is lovely on you , but it is so short imo for a lined wool dress. That is a tricky proportion. Maybe with tights and short boots...How could they not line a sequinned dress? Omg, I have flashbacks of itchy ballet recital costumes...Enjoy your vacation. The weather is ghastly here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure about any, but seriously loving the colourblcok dress in the window- it would be very work appropriate. i am hoping there are some jules type dresses in Boston as I need to figure out my size!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the reviews. I am really intrigued by the colourblock dress - I could definitely see myself wearing something like that this fall. I am also really interested in the Allie dress. It did not catch my attention in the initial rollout but now that I see it on you, it looks like a very flattering cut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reviews. I found the zig zag top to be torturous as well. I like the color block shift in the window-hoping it is another cut besides the Jules which I on me are unflattering and too short.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the reviews, ajc! I also think the Allie dress looks lovely on you. J.Crew has been offering some really cute and flattering dresses lately, now if they would just lengthen the hemlines on them.

    I tried on the Snowcat dress and thought it was quite cute and comfortable, but I am unsure on the length, because it is on the shorter side like you mentioned. I also tried on the Zigzag Sequin tee, but didn't find it itchy at all.

    Thanks again! I hope you are still having fun on your camping trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colorblock window dress--the pink cuffs are so interesting! I would totally wear that! Thanks for the pictures and reviews, especially of the chevron dress!

    T

    ohwelltatslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for reviewing the zigzag dress! It has been on my pintrest board-- but no more! How could they not line a sequined dress? I get uncomfortably itchy just thinking about it......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colorblock shift too, hope it is a knit. The red dress looks good on you but I do find it a bit juvenile. Again, thanks for doing this, it is helpful to see what's next when planning for Fall purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the allie dress on you! Not sure a 4 or 6 would be good for me...what are you measurements, if you don't mind :)
    thanks

    ReplyDelete