Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How bold can you go?

I usually gravitate towards only few colors and limited prints. This summer, it seems almost everything in my closet is solid white, black, beige, blue or red, with only some stripes and polka dots. I like it this way and it makes for easy dressing in the morning and easy accessorizing. But sometimes, I am craving other colors or something more adventurous.

I think wearing a bold print is a statement. It requires certain level of confidence, walking into the room, knowing that people may actually look and notice you and whatever you are wearing, knowing that they will have opinions about it, one way or another and that you are OK with that.  I usually shy away from patterned trousers, pattern mixing, high contrast and bold geometric prints.  There is no way I could handle Verushka dress or some of the more whimsical prints, causing people to stare at various parts of my body, trying to figure out what is happening in the scene.

This is about as bold as I can go:

BR jersey knit dress (old)
I love this Banana Republic jersey knit dress. It is perfect for travelling, because it does not wrinkle and does not show stains easily. For the office, I usually add a cardigan or, like below, a shirt, since the A/C is on full blast. The dress has self ties attached that you criss-cross in front and tie in the back or double wrap them and tie in front. It is quite slimming and it has bra friendly wider straps, with bra hooks.  

Adding perfect linen shirt to combat A/C
***

Bazaar linen shell with slub cotton pencil in  natural
This linen beaded Bazaar cami is one of my all time favorite purchases from J.Crew. It is strange, because I usually do not wear purple, but I really liked the print. I wanted to get the collection dress in this print (not the tunic), but I was never successful scoring it on a popback and initial price was too high for me.
I also wanted to get the skirt to wear as a hook-up but could never find it and it was store only. I even tried to convince Dina to sell me hers at one point, but she did not want to part with it. I understand.

***

Oilily dress (old)
This dress dates from the time when I was a crazy ebay mom buying all the Euro clothes from my daughter, so it is probably about 7 years old. Oilily was definitely ahead of everybody in the crazy print department. This dress has clear sequins hand appliqued over some of the flowers, close up it is very pretty. In general, Oilily clothes are wonderful quality. The linen has fabulous feel and the bodice is lined in silk/cotton blend. It was originally longer, with asymmetrical hem, but I had it shortened to make it more versatile. It was expensive, but every summer I wear it several times and I always get tons of compliments. I don;t know if you can tell from the top picture but the fit is perfect, close but comfortable and that makes a huge difference. It is size 38 Euro.

with BR cashmere wrap (old)
***

Free People top with scout chinos
I must have mentioned at some point that but my fantasy outfits revolve around boho/hippie themes. I have this image of myself gathering flowers in the meadows, carefree in my flowy maxi dress. Or walking the beach at sunset in some boho ensemble. 

This top from Free People was bough with this image in mind. I do love it, even if it has limited possibilities for my lifestyle. 


If you love something you will make it work, right?
***
That's all folks!

Do you wear bold prints or do you prefer to stay with solids?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!! 

16 comments:

  1. I usually wear solids-though I'm not sure why. For some reason prints don't often appeal to me and I feel uncomfortable wearing a lot of print. When a print does appeal to me I try to figure out what it is that I'm drawn to. I have figured out that I tend to prefer geometric prints, deep color with contrast and saturated color. There is a gorgeous print with a navy background in the J Crew Fall Collection Look Book that I'm obsessed with. Plus, several of the new Trina Turk prints are gorgeous. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi julie, I am also uncomfortable in many prints, but I think it has more to do with jarring colors than with a print itself. And I don't like anything too literal, like many prints Anthro has with anumals, landscapes and such.
      Now you got me curious about that new print...

      Delete
  2. Solids mostly - especially near my face. But having said that, I do have a few scarves that have a pattern. Skirts are the one item I'll go all out on when it comes to patterns...well all out on by my definition which is probably still quite subdued by others definition. Even my Lilly Pulitzer dresses are patterns that aren't overwhelming or too flashy.
    I used to work with a lady (the only person not required to wear scrubs) & wowza did she come up with some crazy loud kooky HUGE patterned outfits that overpowered & consumed any remaining available light in order to feed it's very existence - like a fashion black hole of sorts. She once wore a vest that had a little waterproof pockets on that she put little tiny live plants (violets) in & wore it to work. I should also mention that she was a relative (by marriage) to the doctor we worked for & he kinda had to hire her to shush his wife up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jane, that lady you work with sounds like quite an eccentric. This does not bother me (on others) if their personality matches that. Have you see the documentary 'Bill Cunningham's New York'? There are some characters there with very kooky outfits, I loved it! But nothing like that for myself, I don't have enough personality in me, lol.

      Delete
  3. AJC - great post! As you can see from my post today - I do like colourful bottoms! I tend to avoid printed tops, but I am getting braver. I think it is because I am busty and the prints are just too "look at me!". However, I love all of these prints. I especially love the J Crew Bazaar print - I missed it and have been regretful and seeing it on you makes me more so!

    I love the last shot of you on the beach - what a wonderful picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you wear colorful bottoms, I wish I have guts to do it. That Bazaar print was one of the best, I noticed I am drawn to Marrocan and such prints, that's why I also love Java dress.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Confession. I am a print person. Not a lot, not too bright, and not all at once, but I find that prints anchor my wardrobe, so I am not looking at a sea of plain clothes. As much as I admire it on others, I'm not really good at carrying off a boho look...
    Pat
    The colors in the Oilily dress are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Pat, prints can be wonderful anchors (finally anchors, I can wear, lol). In the same way I started many rooms I ever decorated, from a rug or a curtain. I love this Oilily dress, it is one of my top 10 for summer.

      Delete
    2. Is that how I can justify caving on the Ella Garden floral dress?

      Delete
  5. I had the Bazaar skirt and I ended up selling it after because it was too short even for me, so don't regret it too much. I have a few bold prints, as you know, but this is kind of new for me, for years I only wore solids.
    I love the Oilily dress, and LOL about your boho fantasy shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too short on you? That would be indecent on me. Actually, Audreybella had one for sale in my size some time ago, but by that time I concluded it would be too short, sniff, sniff.
      Some people have an inner socialite in them, I have an unfulfilled 'dirty hippie' in me, wait till I really hit the midlife crisis, lol.

      Delete
  6. Not very! I can do the occasional crazy flower print but I think I only have tow patterned garments in my wardrobe - both J Crew of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha, I know that you mostly wear the solids and classic shapes/colors but then you have those totally unexpected, knock-em-dead, flower pants. I love that about your style, not only in clothes btw.

      Delete
  7. AJC....Love that J. Crew Bazaar print top! Did you buy your normal J. Crew top size in that? I'm curious on how it's cut and how it fits. I want to try to find it and most likely that means not being able to try it on, so any info about how it fits would be helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stray Cat, I actually sized down in this shell, I am wearing size 4 and I am usually a 6 and recently even 8, like in recent eyelet shell or pompom shell. I ordered a 6 originally and it was shapeless. Hth.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete