Friday, July 6, 2012

Villa Dress Review and Warning


Villa dress in
 stripe
Villa dress in stripe
Many people sung praises of the Villa dress. It has an easy shape, substantial knit, cute buttons down your back, good length and pretty colors. Now that it dropped in price significantly, what's not to like?

Size Medium
I have tried it previously in Small and it was too skimpy in the chest area. This caused it to ride up and made it shorter and high waisted. After reading a lot of glowing reviews I though that maybe I overlooked it too fast and decided to try on the Medium.

This shade of green is absolutely succulent and flattering. I don;t have anything green in my summer closet and I thought  I could use it. 

So far, so good. You can see some gaping in the armpit area but maybe not too terrible...Size Medium has a good length and the waist falls in about the right place. Is this a winner after all?

Well, no...
No, it is not. Not if you are bigger than a B cup I am afraid. I am 34D. I don't think Victoria Secret would like me to advertise their Dream Angels Bra in hot pink. Enough said.

Just thought I would post a warning in case you are, ahem, better endowed and you were lured by the siren call of Villa. Especially that it is now  final sale. Don;t go there.
On the other hand, I saw many JCAs with different body types look fabulous in this dress. Check it out on Gigi DinaAppGalLife's Divine and on ShOperaRach.

***
That's all folks!
Do you own Villa dress? Do you like it?
 Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warning! I've been having that issue with a lot dresses lately, and have often been able to remedy the situation with an alteration of having the straps taken up. Sometimes it can work - but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I am well endowed and can't afford to be sucked in by the final sale trap. I will pass for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the public service announcement! Being well endowed has its benefits and sometimes, not so much! You were so right to pass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not well endowed at all and it was a disaster on me as well. Too low-cut, and the skirt made me look more pear shaped than I actually am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress, I have it in stripe and solid green. I works for me I guess because I am small on top and only 5'3". I can't say enough good about it. I dressed it up and also wore it very casual. For me this dress was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. I have the stripe version of the Villa in size M and agree that the armholes are cut a *little* low, but they do not seem to be as gapingly obvious as in your photo. I am 34C, 5'7" but I don't find that my bra shows at all, and it has been a favorite dress since spring. I wonder if this is yet another case of JC's inconsistent sizing between colors?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've looked at this dress! It's truly been a hit and miss.
    Thanks for the warning to all of us. Final sale is back, we hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent warning post - thanks AJC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed reading your blog and I have awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award. Please visit my blog to receive it! http://beachchicstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I honored you mentioned my blog.

      Delete
  11. Well at least your bra is a great complementary color for the dress. :)

    I do like it from the front, but the side is not gonna work. Blegh.

    Thanks for the link love, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh do you know what I'd love to find? A smooth t shirt bra that doesn't add a cup size, when I wear mine under t's or jumpers my chest looks massive in comparison to the rest of me and makes me feel so self conscious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha I rather like VS lightly lined or unlined bras. My favs are Dream Angels smooth Demi and full coverage body by victoria. They have good support and don't add volume. Just don't get anything that says padded, they pretty much come with boobs already attached. Maybe you can visit in London, I think they have a store ? Oh, and and they are vanity sized the other way, I have to always get 34dd (but I refuse to acknowledge this is my size).

      Delete
  13. I am a 32D and have this in an XS, it fit perfectly. I didn't have any issues with gaping armholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the joy of a narrow 32 inch back - I think I had that at 12!

      Delete
    2. hahaha can I blame it on being Asian?

      Delete
  14. I love this dress...I'm not fortunate enough to be well endowed in the chest area, even after two kids, so it fits just fine. I love the substantial material (like other reviewers have said)....it can transition into fall with the help of thicker layering pieces like a jean jacket or a Tippi cardigan (love the array of Tippi cardigan colors in the latest JC catalog!).

    ReplyDelete