Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Madewell Fitting Room Reviews

I love Madewell and some of my favorite buys this year, like the Charade and Academy blazers, are from Madewell. However, most of their dresses have a young feel and are too short. But last week I found couple that caught my attention. They are still on the short side but OK for my comfort level, especially for summer dresses.

And I have to tell you, when I went to NYC last weekend, everybody, and I mean everybody, was in short dresses, regardless of age. And you know what? They look good. I saw one woman in a maxi and few longer midi skirts (that btw were the least flattering), but other than that, it was all about short dresses. In the summer heat they just feel right.

***

First up is this striped silk dress that I cannot find on the website. I am not sure if it means it is already sold out or a new item.

Size 6?

This dress is one of those that looks better IRL The neckline looks sloppy in the picture but I liked it a lot in person. The dress has an easy shape and can go both to work and  on a date imo. I think I tried size 6 but I am not 100% sure and I don't have a picture of a tag.  It is 100% silk (lined in poly) and $158.

***
The dress I did like a lot was this striped number. 

Size Medium
I took a Medium and it was a great fit. Yes it is on a shorter side, but it is not short waisted like most J.Crew dresses, which helps when the dress is short. Also, the higher neckline offsets the shorter length. Again, this looks better IRL, I think because the colors were great with my skin tone.


The SA did a great job picking the accessories as she put my selections in the fitting room. If I was getting a dress I would be really tempted to get it with the belt and the necklace, they were really complementing the outfit.

This is a link to the belt:

Braided skinny belt

The necklace is not on a website. It looked really good with the belt, but I suppose any similar gold tone necklace would do as well. It was $58.

The dress was $98 and heavier knit, mix of rayon, nylon and spandex, unlined and I think machine washable, which is a definite plus. I was very tempted to buy it but I have enough stripes, including striped knit dress from Talbots but I was so tempted.

Maybe if there is a coupon? It is definitely on my watch list.

***
Sheer shapes tee
Finally, something that you can view on the website. This sheer tee is definitely overpriced but very cute. I think it would also be great in black for a night out. It does not come with a cami and you obviously need one. It is snag prone, so you would have to be careful with any necklaces or even purse straps.

Tee in Medium (skirt in Large)

Overall, I think it is a cute little tee just way too expensive for what it is.

Needs a cami

***
As you know I love pencil skirts, so I thought it would be nice to have one knit version for a more relaxed feel. I tried a striped drawstring mini from J.Crew, but I really hate drawstrings, as I mostly untuck my tops, and a drawstring creates a bulge in the waist area.

skirt in Medium (with JC Tessa top)
So this skirt is really cute but it runs small. I tried a Medium at first and many times I can wear a Small in Madewell,  but boy, this one was tight.
Very tight in  Medium 
Too tight for my comfort, although maybe it would stretch. Large was better and not too big at all, as you can see below. I wear 4 in J.Crew pencil skirts, so this is great news for you petite ladies, but many will be outsized, I imagine.

I have to admit I was slightly horrified, but of course it is just a number. Still.
better in  Large

The skirt is not on the website (yet?) but it was $58 and the same blend as the striped dress above, 90%
rayon, 8% nylon and 2% spandex.

***
That's all Folks!

What do you think?
Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!



14 comments:

  1. I think the length of these is perfect for you! I feel your pain though...I'm 5'7" and it is like pulling teeth to find a dress that isn't indecently short. I will definitely have to check out that striped knit skirt--looks like a more casual (and less expensive) version of J. Crew's striped pencil skirt from this season. Good to know that it runs super small (yes, this also drives me crazy. I admit to liking vanity sizing)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thriftinglovemelongtime! LOL at vanity sizing, I am glad I am not the only one!

      Delete
  2. Love the striped dress on you!
    I saw pink peonies wearing the same dress(the pinkpeonies.com).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked it out, she is adorable in it. I love it with the white shirt but you have to be very small to pull it off (btw, you probably could Ina).

      Delete
  3. I love the stripe skirt on you. Hope it will be available online soon. I, too, like to untuck my top with skirt and if the skirt has elastic waistband, kind of add extra weight to the mid-area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this skirt lays nice and flat under untucked tops, I think it wil be online in couple of weeks. I think that Madewell is also 'concept' store, I overheard the SA mentioning it to another customer.

      Delete
  4. i LOVE that striped dress on you. LOVE.
    i've been seeing lots of short dresses too. and honestly, for the summer i think it is ok on older ladies. they are no shorter than shorts and everyone i've seen looks cool, comfy and classy. i have a friend that is about 10 yrs older than me and she always says...well what are we supposed to wear when it's hot! and i agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! For some reason I am more relaxed about the skirt/dress length now that I was a year or two ago. Maybe I am past the mid life crisis? I really think that most shorter hemlines are OK in the summer and it is more about how your legs look than your age. Of course to a certain degree, to me the hemline is OK when it is between midtigh and a knee but not above midtigh, it is also a lot about getting the proportions right.

      Delete
  5. I seriously have to quit buying striped things but that knit striped dress is right up my alley - stripes and an easy-wear knit? Plus it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh LIsa, I can totally see you in this dress, it is very much your style. I can just picture bright killer shoes and accessories with it, sorry for enabling but I got this image of you in my head right now :)

      Delete
  6. Great reviews!

    Madewell has their fall collection up for pre-order right now and I think the black and white striped dress is called the Striped Duet Dress. It also comes in green/black or green/navy (hard to tell in the photo).

    I really want to order it but I'm unsure of the size - I am usually a 0 in J. Crew dresses but a 2 in shirts/blazers. Do you think I would want this in Small or XS? Based on Madewell's size chart I need a Small, but I often find those to be unreliable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi caitlin, I would say this dress is on the small side, definitely fitting me more like some small knit dresses at J.Crew and looser than most Mediums. Maybe you can ost a question for PinkPeonies, she is probably about your size?
      You could also call them for exact garment measurement. It is knit so it has some stretch but it is not very stretchy, as far as I remember.

      Delete
  7. I like the stripe skirt too. But I'm a stickler for perfect alignment and returned many things when stripes are off. Did you notice whether the skirt was that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany rose, unmatched stripes drive me bonkers, but I did not check, unfortunately.

      Delete