Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Peter Pan, Polka Dots and Snakeskin - J.Crew Fall 2012

Yesterday I posted pictures of J.Crew fall new arrivals and hopefully many of them will be available online by the time you read this post.  I forgot to tell you that when I was in store, there was a group of cool looking young men setting up the displays. It turned out it was a bunch of J.Crew designers. Apparently, some clients schedule their appointments when the designers are there, so they can get styling advice. I did not have time but I have to do it next time. How cool is that?

Also, when I was trying everything on, my PS was asking me about the feedback and was writing everything down and asking about specifics. She said Mickey (Drexler, CEO of J.Crew) was going to visit the store on Friday morning (at 7AM!) and they were going to give him customer feedback. I was trying to objective in what I was saying and think about everything that is often said here and on Mothership. If you want me to add anything about the items below, please let me know and I will email my PS before Friday.

***

First up, most asked about, No2 pencil skirt in snakeskin print:

Size 4, fits TTS
This skirt fits like most J.Crew pencil skirts. This summer I needed a 6 in Raj Paisley and Big eyelet skirt but generally, I was always a 4, and this skirts fits me like usual, following my curves without being tight. The fabric of this skirt is mostly wool  (82%) with some silk (18%) and the surface is slightly rough to touch.



I like this skirt more than I expected. I don;t own any clothes with snakeskin print and I was never attracted to it. Shoes are leather goods are another story.  But somehow, this skirt reads edgy and sophisticated to me, instead of in-your-face/creepy/trashy etc. In the catalog, they styled it with a ballet pink painter boatneck tee and I like the idea of it.

The price is $158. Will I buy this skirt? Not anytime soon and not at full price but mostly because I already have enough pencil skirts and I am still not 100% sure about the print. I mean, I really don;t like snakes...

***

Many of you have asked about the sweater with jeweled peter pan collar. I did not get to try it, but jcrewfanatic reported that it is $198 and beautiful. You can see her comments in my yesterday's post. I did try something slightly similar, that I thought many of you may like. I was thinking of my pal Ema from My closet, my baby and I and how not so long ago she was looking for a similar sweater from Sandro and even thought about making a detachable collar. Maybe J.Crew was reading her blog and got inspired?

This to has a cotton sweatshirt body and silk collar and cuffs. It also comes in navy with black collar but I did not like it as much. Or maybe it was black with navy collar? 

Size Medium
I took bigger of my non numerical sizes in this top. It is quite roomy in this size but I think it should be swingy and I think that a Small would be too short. It is $75, 100% cotton with 100% silk trim.


I think it is very cute and will probably sell well. I have some doubts whether it looks too young but I think it would be fine with right accessories, and other elements of the outfit.

***
OK, at this point I am totally polka dotted out, but J.Crew is not, apparently.

Size 6
This looks like another version of Blythe blouse, this time in polka dots. Actually it is a very pretty blouse and if you don't have enough polka dots (where have you been?) it is an excellent choice. It will work with everything, jeans, trousers, skirts, blazers and cardigans, slouchy and tucked in.

It fits TTS to slightly big. I had to get an 8 in some of the J.Crew summer tops but here I am back to my usual size 6 with room to spare. That said, I think it is supposed to be slouchy and I think it fits me similarly to the model in the catalog so I think this is the correct size.

Slightly see through. I think it is OK for casual wear but I would wear a cami to the office. I like the look better with a white cami underneath anyway.

100% silk and $128.  Pricey, but I am pretty confident it will go on sale eventually.

Drapes well

***

Did I say enough with the polka dots already? Well, I take it back because this next blouse is very pretty. Of course I already own a blouse in identical print. Remember the one from last year with exposed zipper?  Too bad for me because I like this one better but there is no way I can justify it.

Size 6
This 100% silk blouse is very flattering imo. The fit is nice, not wide in the shoulders and not too boxy and not too long so you can easily wear it untucked. Yay! I like me an elegant blouse that does not have to be tucked in. It is more refined and more tailored that the last year version.

Fits TTS, again this is size 6 and great fit with enough room in the chest. The bow is also very pretty and I like that there is no zipper. I actually did not mind the exposed zipper but it is pretty heavy and it is pulling the shirt back a little bit. Anybody wants to buy my last year's incarnation??? You know what I am thinking...


The blouse is pull on, I dont think there was a zipper. there is a small opening at the neck wher you tie the bow with a little hook to secure it.
No billowy bulk around the hips

It is $110. it is a lot for this little top but I remember the one I have was also around $100 and I eventually bought it for under $50.

***
That's all folks!!!

More reviews coming up so please stop by again.

Do you like the new arrivals?
What would you say to Mickey Drexler?
Please share, It would be no fun without you!!!













33 comments:

  1. I concur about the snakeskin. I am not a fan, although it is well implemented in the wool. I love the polka dot navy top- timeless and not too twee. Your accessories make your fitting room pics look like they are perfectly styled. Thanks for the thorough reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited about the snakeskin pencil skirt but now idk...it just looks to realistically 'snakey' to me. Maybe I would like it in a different color or more abstract print. And your store sounds amazing by the way!!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks so great on you! how can you resist the temptation not to buy everything?! i love the gray sweatshirt like top with the silk collar. omg, so cute! and affordable. you really rock and i wish ole mickey could read this blog and see how much effort you put into reviewing his clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that snakeskin skirt and you look great in it. Want the sweatshirt top too, which surprises me. Thanks for the pics and reviews, they really help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AJC!

    Thanks so much!

    I am loving the skirt, but will wait for a sale and see the rest - I am contemplating the sweatshirt and canT wait to see the rest!

    I agree - Mickey is lucky you are there for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool that Mickey D is coming to the Garden State -- my home state! As far as feedback, I don't have any on the new collection but in terms of general feedback: MORE CONSISTENCY in both prices and store/sale policies and REAL BENEFITS for store credit cardholders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that cute sweatshirt, and am looking forward to seeing the jeweled one as well. I feel the same way about the polka dot top -- would love this one, but can't justify something that's so close to the top I already have. Really pretty though. Thanks for all the fun reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sweatshirt and the polka dot top, I will just have to sell mine form last year as this one is much better. Thanks so much for the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very unexpectedly I really like the skirt. The thing is it looks GREAT on you, it is really flattering and shows off your figure perfectly. I like the wool/silk combination. That said I wouldn't buy it for myself, but I like it. Same goes for the sweatshirt with the silk collar, very pretty and interesting. If I could wear jeans-and-a-top I'd buy that for sure.
    I would ask Mickey to please keep out the poly. Especially on the Collection pieces!! J Crew dresses used to be fully lined in silk: bring it back it's worth the extra $ Mickey!!
    Thanks so much ajc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Dani - way too much poly. This isn't LOFT (especially for the prices)!

      Thanks for all your pics and reviews. :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks SO much for these reviews!!! I need those last two polka dot tops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That polka dot silk blouse is mine! It is exactly what I have been looking for since last year! Can't wait to try it on!
    Thank you for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look great in the snakeskin as it's a perfect fit but I can't do anything snakeskin. Too afraid of snakes to have it in my closet !
    Love the sweatshirt and blouse. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the reviews! I really like the snakeskin print skirt...not easy to make that print look classy, but I think this one is a job well done. Definitely schedule with the designers next time they are available in your store...I would love to hear your review of that experience! I'm sure they are great stylists and would have some ideas we would all like to hear. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all this preview info and photos! Funny thing about that snake print. I noticed online in the model shot of the tippi cardigan, there was a snakeskin looking blouse underneath. I asked my PS about it, and preordered it. The price is steep as it is collection, but my size (14) sells out kinda fast, and I wanted a chance to try it on (no collection at our JC). I like the skirt too, but agree I do not need another pencil skirt right now. What was the fabric on that skirt??? Is it cotton or wool?
    Also, although I do NOT need any more DOTTED clothing, lol, I am happy to see they finally made a blouse with short sleeves! These past few weeks have been so hot, and I found out everything was either long sleeves I had to roll up (not fun when it's humid) or wear camis or tanks. I'm really anxious to see more jewelry. Our store had some of it out today - I sure wish they still did "% off Jewelry promos" or "% off coats promos" etc. - Remember those? They seem to have disappeared with all of the free shipping codes during sales. Thanks again, AJC - really appreciate your sharing with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops - re read and found the skirt fabric content (wool/silk) Sorry!

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for the preview. I look forward to the next part as there's nothing that piqued my interest in this set. Sadly, there's nothing distinctive about the pieces that I will not see cheaper in other stores. The snakeskin skirt I thought was unusual & well-executed. Unfortunately, I do not wear animal skin prints - leopard, snakeskin or feathers. Having said that, I just purchased new skirt hangers today in anticipation of 3 double serge wool skirts I saw in the catalog. On this note, how about pleading with Mickey for a 20% off to jumnpstart our fall shopping? I'm also wishing for wool trousers that are lined, lower shipping minimums for card holders and the permanent elimination of polyester and acrylic-blends in JC products.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for these reviews! the lot you posted here are a bit ehh... which for me is bizarre. i love dots. maybe after a good nights sleep... i may want the dotted tops. if they went on sale!! :) xox P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the fitting room reviews!! I am both drawn to and repelled by the snakeskin print skirt - I think it might be too much for my own taste. I bought the Lara peep toes with the snakeskin print and I think that's as much as I can handle...but I might change my mind once I get to try it on, LOL.

    Very exciting to hear that Mickey Drexler will be in the store to get feedback. I would echo what others are saying - JC needs to get back to doing high quality items in natural fibers (wool, cashmere, silk, cotton), because that is what drew me in as a loyal customer in the first place. What often turns me off from other retailers are the synthetic blends which may look nice from a distance but feel terrible on the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the reviews, ajc! Everything looks fantastic on you! I love the polka-dot blouse and do not have last year's version, so this one is definitely on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you SO much for your terrific reviews, AJC! I'm sure all of us begging you convinced you to get them up tonight! I know it's a lot of work, so wanted to say thank you up front.

    The snake print skirt is amazing on you! Perfect fit and I love the print. I don't mind snakes at all (good thing because we get them in our yard all the time!) and I think this is a beautiful neutral. I'm in love with the jewelled peter pan collar sweater, but the gray is cute. I also love the short sleeve polka dot blouse! I have the navy dot flouncette blouse from a few years ago, which is probably my absolute favorite blouse, but is probably too similar to justify this one, although it *is* short sleeves and has a bow...might have to consider! You might be able to sell your blouse from last year on eBay to help pay for this one! :)

    Love how all the items you've reviewed so far are all quality fabrics! I agree with the other posters to share with Mickey (what a great opportunity!) that we don't want synthetic materials--esp. at their prices. I'd like natural fabrics at the prices they are currently offering (what I see here seems reasonable) and we will buy them!! More sitewide % off promos would make me buy more and please no more playing around with pricing (online vs. in-store, and going from sale back to regular price, etc.).

    Thanks again and can't wait to see the rest of your reviews!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks very much for the show and tell. Everything looks great on you, my favorites are the snake skirt and the polka dot silk blouse with the bow. My mom had a similar blouse and I've always wanted one.

    Tell Mickey to please match up stripes perfectly, I returned four collection pieces and many tees and skirts because the stripes didn't meet up properly, it's a peeve of mine. Also, please don't line leather shoes with manmade material, leather soles are preferred for comfort. Go back to the days of silk/wool, linen/silk, etc. blends, I didn't give many things a second look as soon as I learned it was poly or rayon or model. Thanks for passing on our feedback! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. ajc - thanks for all your hard work for the gang!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ajc, thank you so much! The snake skirt really does look fab on you, but I am weirded out by the too-realistic print.

    I am somewhat embarassed to admit that I had a dream last night that there was a % off full price promo! Ha! Toooo much crewlade for me, I need to lay off.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the reviews! I love, love, love the polka-dot tie neck top!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great reviews! I can't find the sweatshirt online though. Do you have an item number by any chance? Or - which store were you at? I'll give them a call directly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Style 12318, call GSP store in Paramus, NJ

      Delete
  25. Thank you so much for this! I think the snakeskin skirt looks amazing on you. Thank you for the offer to pass on comments/constructive criticism to your PS that will hopefully make its way to Mickey Drexler. Like the others, I agree that there are too many synthetic fabrics for the price point. By way of positive reinforcement, I love that the double serge wool pencil skirts come in tall sizing for the fall. But I would love to see even more tall sizing options, especially in skirts and dresses. My final comment, I agree with the others that it would be great to see the wool pants lined. Again, for me, it is a price point/quality issue.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to have the sweatshirt. Thank you for sharing!!!

    EF

    ReplyDelete
  27. Guys, I just wanted to let you know that I have put all your concerns in an email and I sent it to my PS yesterday. She replied that she will pass it on to Mickey today, hopefully by now he heard from us :)
    Thank you for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. AJC, you look smashing in that snakeskin pencil skirt! Very slimming -- now it makes me want to try it, but won't buy at full price either.

    First time commenter, but really enjoy your blog & read it regularly. You wear their clothes well.

    ReplyDelete