Friday, July 20, 2012

Tweed, lace and pink

More J.Crew Fall 2012 reviews!

I wear a lot of white and cream and I liked this blouse on a hanger. It looked intricate and a little Victorian, but not costumey and it seemed easy to incorporate into everyday wear.

Size Medium
Actually, it works quite nicely with the Madewell skirt I was wearing that day. It is beautiful and 100% cotton, so it feels great on. I think Medium is a correct size but it is a little boxy. I wish it was slightly longer and more defined. The way it is cut works nicely for skirts but I think it seems slightly too short with pants.


That said I loved it!. I think it will elevate any simple outfit. I love beautiful lace. Or is this embroidery?  It went on my list. While I don;t necessarily NEED it, I can certainly use it with many items in my closet.

It was $98 and 100% cotton. Of course, I wish it was less, but at least it is under $100. I hope it is not like with Madewell  striped dress I liked. When I tried it it was $98, I said 'love' and next thing I know it was $118. Huh?

Pricing people at J.Crew, listen to this: It is an awful, awful shirt. The price should only move one direction. Down. Thank you.

Fingers crossed.

***

Are you ready for a hook up?

Tweeded up
Maybe not. But with a white button front peeking out from under the top? It may work. But of course it is easier to wear the pieces separately.

Capris size 4
Capris were fitting TTS, I took a 4, which is my usual size in J.Crew bottoms. They fit like other cafe capris. I think they do add some bulk in the hips/legs. Still, they are very pretty. I am not sure if they were lined. They could be interesting in adding a texture and because they are not wool they would be easier to wear when it is not freezing cold (and when you would switch to long pants anyway).

I don;t have any non-summer capris but I used to not like capris at all.  Recently, I started to like them more, so maybe I can add those? They were $148. The tweed is 62% silk, 25% cotton, 11% viscose and 2% other fibers. I like the sound of this blend. However, if I was to order, I would order them online, because I think tweed is prone to be shop worn and possibly snagged.

***

I am not sure what to call this top but it is pretty cool. Is it a jacket? A shirt?

$128, size 6, TTS
I took size 6 and it was a good fit. Maybe J.Crew is getting more consistent?  The colors in it are navy, violet, white and thin gold thread, very pretty. It is not lined but it did not feel scratchy. I was surprised but then I thought it was wool. Since it is mostly silk and cotton, that explains it. Gold thread did not bother me, both in the look (it is very subtle and I did not even noticed it at first) or in fabric feel (metallic can be very scratchy but I don;t remember it bothering me).

I see a lot of possibilities with this top.  It can go on its own or as a jacket with long sleeve tee or with a (white) button front. It looked good with trousers and skirts.


Skirt size 6

It has a bow in the back and it can be belted to give it more shape. The price is not too too bad.


The skirt is a very pretty color, isn't it?. I though initially that it was poly but is is a wool crepe. Much better.
I took size 6 to have it sit a little lower on the waist but it is not too loose and it still sites pretty high. It falls above the knee but not too short and will look nice with some winter tights. I like how the pleats are fully sewn and I like the swingy shape. It would work very well with navy and I have enough in my closet to pair it with.

Skirt $128

Of course, I already have the wool double serge pencil skirt in bright dahlia which is very similar. Butt I don't have many wool full skirts... Maybe this is something to consider after all?

***
That's all folks!

Do you like any of the reviewed pieces? 
Do you think I should consider any?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

30 comments:

  1. The lace top is very pretty, and I'm interested in trying that tweed top. I like it belted, and think it would be fun to play with a collar under it. Thanks so much for the reviews -- so exciting to see them all IRL early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M that tweed top would be great with your navy color story for fall!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review on the skirt, I am interested in it in the "cabernet" color, which is a brownish red that doesn't lean too much towards maroon or burgundy. A full wool skirt is actually not easy to find! Did they have the cabernet in store or the pink only?
    I love that lace top, what a pretty basic. And the hook-up pieces are nice, interesting fabric mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not see the cabernet but I might have missed it. I think this skirt would be fun piece to wear with navy/black/brown. If it goes on sale I may get it.
      Lace top is wishlisted.

      Delete
  3. Hi AJC - this reminds me of the morse code suit I bought late last winter and hope to wear in early fall - do you think they are similar?

    Love the lace top - not sure about boxy for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is similar. This tweed is I think softer.

      Delete
  4. I actually love the tweed get up, but I can't wear J crew pants ( apart from cords) they do absolutely nothing for my bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No trausers can help my bottom much. I never liked J.CRew trousers but the cafe capris are not bad. These will enhance your rear and tights Tabs, not flattering on most but you could def pull it off.

      Delete
  5. I love the last skirt. Definitely need to check that one out. Thank you so much for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Pants' - you've all got me calling trousers pants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the reviews! Btw what shoes are you wearing in all your pics? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the reviews. I have my first appt. with a PS on the 30th(so I can use the $50 gc they sent me) and am a little nervous. She asked me to email her with any pieces I was specifically interested in and your pics/reviews are so much better than the JC website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Misty, don't worry and don;t feel obligated to buy anything, they see people coming trying and not buying anything all the time (like yours truly). I guess that's why I did not get a gift card. I have to go and pout, maybe I can wrangle one out of my PS ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I've been sending what seems to be all the details of my life to the PS and not really sure of her expectations once I get there. I really needed to read that I can go and enjoy myself w/o worrying about the PS.

      Delete
  10. (Might be a duplicate- reply doesn't seem to work.)

    Too funny. The ivory top was the first piece that really caught my eye the other day. It is lovely and unique, although I wondered about it being boxy too.The violet tweed is so striking IRL.
    Thank you for all of your wonderful reviews, although now I think I know where all of the great pieces in my size are going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, the competition. I thought about you Pat, when I wrote this post... ITA about violet tweed; it does not photograph as well as it looks.

      Delete
  11. Huh, my first thought when I saw the picture of the 2 tweed pieces together was "she tailored her scrubs, not bad." I like the look of the fabric, just not all that much of it. I'm sure that during the course of the year they'll come out with a matching invitation clutch.

    Have a lovely vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wff, I wish I wore scrubs, that would mean that I am in respectable profession, tweed or not. I don't think I could pull of wearing it together but do check out my blog on Wednesday next week, I have more hookups coming...

      Delete
  12. Love the tweed capris! The fabric looks great. Thanks for the review! I love J. Crew capris (really they are ankle pants but whatever) and do wear them year round. During the winter I wear my boots into the office and then change into heels/flats/whatever upon arrival - it saves my shoes and they keep our offices warm so I have no problem wearing a the capris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are giving me courage to try it this winter!

      Delete
  13. Oooh, I'm excited for that skirt! I need a warm wool skirt for winter and I don't really wear pencils; I much prefer full skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty, and I think you are petite, right? Ss it would be perfect on you! Not sure if it is very warm, it not like double serge wool, but with tights you should be fine.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I'm 5'2" and have never had a length problem at J.Crew (other than things being too long). 18" is perfectly modest on me and I can push it to 17", so the length should be OK. Last winter I wore leggings as tights (under tall boots) and lined cotton skirts, so any wool skirt should be a step up in warmth, I hope.

      Delete
  14. Hey lovely ajc, you're looking fab as always here, girl! :-)

    I thought I'd pass along a capris tip for you because you and I are similarly built and it sounds like we have a similar reaction to JC capris. This summer I was eyeing the linen capris in safari cat (which ran HUGE), and I wanted to love them but they just looked dumpy on me because of the thicker fabric. And (I'm 5'4") the length hit my leg at a weird place. My PS suggested ordering them to try in the Tall (a 30" inseam). WHAT a difference! Now they're actually cute and look like pencil trousers on me - especially because they're cuffed. The cuff "breaks" just slightly over the top of my shoe.

    So going into fall, I think the same idea would translate well to the capris in heavier fabrics, cuffed or not, like these that you tried on.

    Hope this is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete