Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hooking up with J.Crew


Unreleased blouse and pencil skirt

Would you wear a blouse and a skirt in the same print? It used to be a big no-no but recently has come into fashion and J.Crew has been styling their skirts with tops in the same print to look like a dress. Remember the heart print shirt with Jardin skirt? And how about Talitha blouse in Royal Paisley with pencil skirt in the same print. I remember they got as fooled, because we thought those were dresses from the initial preview pictures. 

I had the same reaction when I saw this mannequin at the concept store. I thought: 'Oh, that's a new dress'. But under closer inspection it turned out to be a bow blouse with a skirt. Those were not available for sale so they will be coming in fall rollouts. I had the designers in store to check for a fabric content for me and they had to undo the mannequin but they told me it is 100% silk. I was relieved because I was very afraid they will turned out to be rayon and ruin the whole idea for me and many others. 

I kind of like the idea of a 'hook up'. Especially if they are dome in the same fabric. It does look like a dress but you may also wear it separately, sort of three looks in one (or in two).

Actually, I already own some pieces from J.Crew that I have worn together this way:


Ink dot skirt and tunic top


I have shown you my silk indigo skirt before but quite recently I bought a cami from another JCA.

Silk indigo skirt and cami
***
That's all folks!

Do you like the upcoming skirt and blouse? 
Would you wear it together?

Please share, it would be no fun without you !!!

I will review dresses tomorrow, icluding zigzag sequin dress, Allie dress and more. Plus pictures of a very interesting new dress from store display!


***
I am on vacation this week. I am not sure if I have access to the Internet but I will eagerly anticipate your comments and I will try to respond to you but my replies may be delayed

***



11 comments:

  1. Why not? You said it yourself - it looks like a dress. But you get two great pieces to mix and match. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its possible to pull off correctly if the two pieces go together well enough. I bought both the heart throb shirt and skirt with the intention of wearing them together, not to mention that they are perfect separate. I just look at it as a nother way to wear them :) yay!

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very handy for people like me and others who are two different sizes, but I only wear the odd pattern and when I do it's almost always a red and white combination that I'm drawn to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think with the right material and the right print it works. They look like dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ink dot skirt is my all time favorite!
    Hope your vacation is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! I had my eye on that outfit from the lookbook, but is there neon in that print? That will be a deal-breaker for me.
    I second Tabs, it's nice to have separates for 2 different sizes, I am a whole size bigger on the bottom so an outfit like this works for me.
    I think the hook-ups you own are super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried two matching pieces together. I like your two hook-up outfits a lot, though. It's a good idea, and you pulled it off very well. I am not sure about the look on the mannequin. I think I like the hook-up idea better with a flowy fabric as opposed to a tweedy one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not loving that upcoming plaid, but would definitely wear a matching top and skirt if I liked the pattern. The silk indigo is really pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The silk indigo is fabulous - not sure about new fall plaid. I think it's smart of J. Crew because, as Tabitha and DaniBP noted, many of us are two different sizes. I have ordered quite a few J. Crew dresses that didn't work because of my pear shape. Two pieces are more versatile than one. Also it's often more expensive to buy two pieces so it's good for J. Crew on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the look, though I am not sure about the first outfit until i see the colours. It looks like it could easily became a "sunday after church drinking tea" look on me, which is not pretty! I really love the indigo hookup! And like others, I am a whole size larger on top than the bottom (apple shape, I am thou)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you styled the indigo hook up. I agree that separates are a better fit for me than dresses, and they are so much more versatile. I would do a hook up of "same" prints, but I definitely like matching prints to be made out of the same fabric. I withhold judgement on the plaid as well. I may try to get out and see it in person tomorrow. HOpe you are enjoying your vacation- you have certainly given us much reading material to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete