Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Madewell Purchases - Advice Needed

I have decided to order two items from Madewell that I have already tried HERE
So this post is a little repetitive but I need some styling/sizing advice.


Skirt Size Medium
I previously tried it in Small but decided to size up to make it more comfortable since the waist band is elastic. Actually, the difference is not too pronounced and I think I actually preferred a Small, since Medium has more volume but I have bought it with 25% off sale price and 7% rebate from shop at home (so it came to about $57) and it is no longer available in Small, so I will keep the Medium.   


With BR Striped boatneck
I love the skirt but I actually had trouble styling it, as nothing seemed to work. You cannot really tuck anything in, unless your waist is very small and you have super flat abs or it creates unflattering tummy bump. If your top is too long, it squishes the pleats and bunches up around the hips. I did not like it with a belt because with the longer length and my short torso the proportions were off.  


Finally, I settled on a striped boatneck from BR, the length is fine and the shirttail hem looks good untucked. I also like it with my short jean shirt from GAP (as seen here). Color-wise, I only came up with wearing it with white and navy.

Do you have other ideas how to wear this skirt? Is it worth keeping when it does not seem very versatile?


Size 6
I love this blazer and I ordered it in two sizes for comparison (again with 25% +7% discount).  I originally tried it in size 6 and I liked the look, but I have been ordering those bigger sizes recently, I guess to prove to myself that I am not afraid of them.

Size 8

The blazer has a shrunken fit and the sleeves are short. I think they are supposed to be bracelet sleeves because I have short arms and they are borderline.

Do you think they just look too short?

With the skirt (size 6)

Size 6

Size 8
I also like it open, which is a key for me, with the blazers. It is lightweight wool and I think I can actually wear it under the coat in the winter, it seems comfortable when I tried it. I love the buttons in the front and the fact that it does not look so much like a suiting blazer, it has some cool vibe to it.

I still have both sizes and I need to decide which one to return, please advice!

***
That's all folks!

Have you bought something recently from Madewell?
How would you style the rouge dot skirt? 
Do you think I should keep the 6 or the 8 in the Academy Blazer?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

20 comments:

  1. What about a cropped Brora cardi worn as a top? That's why I opt for to avoid a lumpy midsection, they rest on the waistband so there's no tummy on show. I also think it works well with the proportion of longer voluminous skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great idea with Brora cardi, especially in the fall. Maybe some cropped cotton sweater will work as well.

      Delete
  2. I think you can wear white, red, yellow and navy with your new skirt. It would look adorable.
    I like the size 6 blazer better. I think it's a bit more fitted on you and the shape is more flaterring. That's my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thougth of yellow, I have to try it.
      I agree, especially looking at the pictures I like the size 6 better.

      Delete
  3. I like the fit of the size 6 on you better.

    I love the skirt and have been contemplating on getting it myself. I am obsessed with dots. I don't have any skirt that length and always find it challenging to find ways to style it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for 6!
      I think that as much as I like the idea of longer fuller skirts they are so much more challenging to style that a knee length.

      Delete
  4. I also like the size 6, I think the 8 is too big, especially noticeable when buttoned. The size 6 looks like a perfect fit on you.
    I like the skirt with the BR top and any kind of denim/chambray would be great with it.
    I love the red dots and I think it fits in very well with your wardrobe, you are so great at adding shots of red.
    Does the BR top come in red and white stripes? That would be pretty with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denim and chambray will work but the key is length since I don't think I could tuck in. I don;t have a red striped top, it was actually offered by BR and I contemplated it but passed, I have regretted it many times...
      ITA about size 8, I can see it now when I look at the buttoned up picture.

      Delete
  5. i agree with everybody,the size 6 is a better fit on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, it is official, I am keeping the 6!
      Thank you everybody for advice!

      Delete
  6. meh, I say ditch the skirt. It's cute, but in my experience if you are already having styling issues when you first get something, it will not get any easier with time. If you really love it and/or really need that skirt in particular, then keep it, but if not I'd say don't settle for mediocre. But the blazer size 6 is a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the skirt by itself but it is a challenge. I have to think about whether the fact I can only wear it couple of tops is a deterrent. It does not seem very versatile but on the other hand I do tend to wear the same combinations even with pieces that seem to go with everything.
      I think the key is not how many items I can pair it with but is there at least two items that it looks really good with.
      Hmmmm...

      Delete
  7. Do you have a J. Crew Tippi sweater? That might work with the skirt. I was also thinking of the long-sleeved, scoopneck denim top you tried from J. Crew (not sure if you bought it/kept it). It's the same shape as the striped top you have on here, which I also think looks good with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don;t have a Tippi sweater, but maybe I try it with Jenna cardigan.
      I agree denim will work, I have to try that chambray top, thanks for the suggestion cate!

      Delete
  8. I agree with everyone that the 6 blazer is best. Regarding the skirt - I think you need a slightly shorter, more fitted top to balance the volume of the skirt. You could also try a skinny belt to define your waist with the BR top you are wearing. I like Tabitha's idea of a cropped cardigan and Cate's suggestion of the Tippi sweater. That being said - if you cannot easily style the skirt - take it back. IMHO if it hangs in your closet unworn it was not a bargain-get your money back and buy something better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the shorter fitted top. I tried the skinny belt also and it works, thanks JulieStyles! Cropped cardigans are another option but overall you are rigth, I am not sure if I should keep it all since I find it difficult. On the other hand it is very comfy and I could even wear it very casually, not something I can say about most of my skirts...
      Oh, what to do...

      Delete
  9. I agree with the rest of the pack...go with the size 6.

    Thanks so much for all of the time and effort you put into your reviews...it is much appreciated! I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award. :o)

    See Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much My4Boys, I am truly honored!

      Delete
  10. I agree with keeping the size 6 in the blazer and returning the skirt. In my experience if you have trouble styling something than it stays unworn, unless you love it so much that you don't mind spending some more money to find the perfect thing to wear with it. In that case I agree with Tabitha that a fitted and cropped cardigan is the best for this kind of skirts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Ema about both! I am keeping the size 6 of the blazer, I tried it again under my trench coat and I was feeling comfortable, that sealed it. About the skirt, it would probably be wise to return. I am usually a ruthless returner, but for some reason, even if I agree it is not the most flattering skirt and, like you said, I will probably end up looking everywhere for that perfect top (which is never a good idea) but I still want to keep it for some reason. Maybe I just need time and I will come to my senses. I ordered from Shop Bop so I only have 14 days to return...

      Delete