Friday, April 13, 2012

J.Crew Fitting Room Reviews Mid April 2012

Wow! I haven't done a J.Crew review for almost two weeks... 

I have ordered long No.2 pencil skirt mostly to try it for the blog as I haven't seen the review yet but I know many of you expressed interest in it.


 Long No. 2 pencil skirt in double-serge cotton

After I got measurements from CS, I decided to order size 4 & 6 since it seemed like it is running a little small.  It was a right call because size 4 just fitted but it was a very close fit. I have been slacking recently with the gym and eating a little more and I think I might have gained some weight, but my other pencil skirts in size 4 still fit, so even taking that into consideration, I would say it runs small and I though size 6 fitted better on me.

Size 6

The color is gorgeous, as you can see, and the lining felt very smooth. I think this skirt actually fits better and it is better made than the regular double serge cotton pencil. 

Not as long as it seems on the model
It isn't really long. I am 5'6 and it is just covering my knees, so slightly longer than regular pencil but not true midi length, unless you are petite. If you are tall it may just fit like a knee length pencil, which may be attractive if regular pencil skirts are too short for your office or style. It felt quite comfortable to walk in.


 
Nicely lined and very comfortable

I have no need for this skirt, but if you like a longer length, want something a little different or just love the color, I would recommend it.



***
I was curious about the keeper chambray shirt as it seemed more fitted on the hanger that other boxy chambray shirts J.Crew released this year.

Keeper chambray shirt


Size 8
After trying it on, I thought it was OK, but nothing special. They did not have a size 6, which could have been more fitted and flattering or could have been pulling at the chest, who knows.



I am also not a big fan of rollup sleeves, it seems like a nice idea, but imo it just adds bulk. I'd rather just have a short sleeved or long sleeved shirt, but that's just me.

***


Gondola stripe skirt

Gondola stripe skirt is one of those skirts made to look longer on the model, but irl it is above the knee and not very flattering.

Size 8
The skirt actually looks better in the picture, irl I hated it on me. It also had a major case of static cling, which did not help the case. It was really shapeless and it did not drape well. I would say this also runs slightly small in the waist because and 8 was just a little bit loose on me (they did not have a 6), but nothing major. I take size 6 in most J.Crew skirts that are meant to sit at the waist.

See it on Dani HERE.

***


 Café capri in Pop Art polka dot

I tried those Pop Art capris for the blog, as I am not big fan of printed pants, or even colorful pants, for whatever reason. I like my pants neutral.

size 6, I think my regular 4 would've been perfect 

That said, they were actually very nice and if you are not afraid of printed pants, they are a good option. Again, they did not have size 4 (what's up with all my regular sizes gone, is it conspiracy or something??),  so I tried a 6 and they were quite loose, but I could tell that a size 4 would have been perfect. So I'd say they fit TTS, same as other cafe capris. They look black in the picture but they are definitely navy.

See them on Ruffles and Sequins HERE.

Back Zip Sweatshirt Size Small
***

The sweatshirt I am wearing is not on the website, but the cut is the same as Back-zip long-sleeve pullover. I tried it before HERE and I like it in solid. The color is similar to Haya sweatshirt from last year.  I am wearing size small here and I think I would prefer a Medium for more slouchy fit, longer length and more room in the hips

the sweatshirt rides up a little in size Small
 ***

The last item I tried is actually my favorite. It is not on the website, so maybe it is store only, but it is a floral scarf in the same print as a new floral pencil skirt that I tried HERE. You can also see it on Rynetta's blog HERE. It is 100% wool and the print is beautiful. I wish it was silk or even cotton blend, since the print screams 'spring'.  Btw, I think it has all the colors from the 2012 Pantone color chart.

Floral scarf 100% wool


That's all folks!

***

Do you like any of the reviewed items?
Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

26 comments:

  1. Terrific reviews, thanks! I've been looking at chambray shirts this spring, too, and can't find anything that does it for me. I completely agree with you on the roll-up sleeve issue. I hate wearing bulky "arm rings" just above the elbow, although sometimes I will turn a cuff back one fold to show a bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fred, I thought I was the only one that has trouble with rolled up look, why do they always do it? I have an older shirt (from Express) and it fits me great but this is one thing I don't like about it, the stupid placket and button just hanging there. It is like an idea of pants that you unzip and convert to shorts, does anybody ever actually use that?

      Delete
  2. The green skirt looks great on you, and I love the scarf too. I have the Keeper Chambray shirt, but I don't care for the roll-up sleeves either. I can roll them up just fine without the silly buttons and tabs. They also make the shirt look kind of dumb when the sleeves are not rolled up, with that pointless button sitting on each arm. And yet I continue to wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate! Those double duty 'features' are just a nuisance many times...

      Delete
  3. Also - I tried on the back-zip sweatshirt too and it didn't work for me. I tried the Medium. It just didn't slouch right, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cate, I think it runs narrow in the hips, that's probably why. I never have that problem so I imagine it may be an issue for many.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review. The color of the skirt is pretty and I love all the colors but I just cannot wear all the pencil skirts enough to justify buying in addition. I'm looking forward to the floral pencil you reviewed last week (I think). I too have the chambray roll up and I like but I hate the button/tab attachment myself. The pants are adorable but like you, it's hard for me to do so much print and prefer neutral even though I did buy the plaid capri at the holidays and found myself wearing a lot. Maybe if these go on sale I'll pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shariyu,
      Too many pencil skirts, tell me about it :) I think that floral skirt should be online on Thursday. Maybe I will warm to to an idea of printed/colorful pants this year, never say never...

      Delete
  5. Thanks SO much for these great reviews, as always!!! And, thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You welcome Rynetta, I always look forward to your reviews!

      Delete
  6. Aww thanks for the mention! I really like the polka dot pants on you, but I understand what you mean about prints - you must already own cafe capris right? The cut looks fab on you! I really want the gondola skirt, but the reviews aren't making it seem very promising... will wait for sale :) Have a great weekend, ajc!

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasia, I have the cafe capris but only in black. I always thought that capris don't look good on me, but taking the pictures I noticed that they actually look better than I thought, I definitely learn from having a blog and getting feedback from others.
      Have a wonderful weekend yourself, I hope it will be warm and sunny.
      Oh, and yes, definitely try the Gondola on in store if you can. You are tiny and cute and I bet it will look very different (better) on you :)

      Delete
  7. Ack, I just ordered the sovereign paisley print long pencil skirt in my regular size, now I am worrying if it'll be too small since it was final sale. I better get to practicing my "sucking it in" then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lisa, size 4 (my regular pencil size) was fine on me in sovereign paisley, so I think you are OK, it is a very pretty skirt, prettier IRL than in pictures, including website. I think you will like it, I can't wait to see how you will style it.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the link! Out of everything here I like those polka dot pants the best. Not for me but I like them.
    Also the green pencil is very nice on you, it's such a pretty color.
    Thanks for the reviews, you do them so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Dani, I was surprised that I really liked the pants, but big polka dots all over my lower half, my reasonable self says no way...

      Delete
  9. I have to say - you look really cute in those polka dot pants! But they do look black and white in the picture - it is like the polka dot skirt as well - I was ready to press the button then realized they were navy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely navy WMM, not even one of those items where you wonder like the heart print skirt, they have quite a lot of blue in them. This store has small fitting rooms and not enough light, I used to like it (since it made me look better, haha), but now that I am taking pictures, I want as much light and biggest room I can get.

      Delete
  10. I love the last outfit, those trousers really suit you. I'm just starting to get into patterned trousers and struggling to know what to wear with them. Great blog! Thanks so much for replying to my email today - its a huge help.

    Nicki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki, I am glad if I could help in any way! Patterned trousers are everywhere on the runways and I guess we'll get used to them and we will think nothing of wearing them pretty soon (that is until our kids look at our pictures in 10 years screaming 'no, Mom, you didn't!!!').
      For this polka dot pattern, I would start with plain navy tee, but bright pink/green/yellow would look fantastic if you dare :)

      Delete
  11. I strangely like the printed cafe capri more than the solid version. In fact I only own a pair in cerise from a few years ago but I think the reason I liked them is because of the (at that time) crazy bright color. I also think that they look better when they are very fitted and I found that unlike the wool ones they stretch out with wear.
    I wasn't attracted to the polka dots ones bit I think they look much better in person (on someone) than in the pics. A SA was wearing them with the green Talitha the other day and it was a fabulous outfit. Still I won't get them
    because I prefer the sovereign paisley ones for myself (not to mention that I also have the fresco and foulard).
    You must get that pencil skirt, it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i don't know what it is about that gondola skirt but i just love it. i'm sorry to hear that you don't really like it, i think it looks cute on you. thanks for reviewing the longer pencil skirt too as i'm helping someone build a work wardrobe and i think these would be perfect for her.
    also, that scarf is gorgeous but why on earth is it in wool?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the scarf--I will definitely buy that floral pencil skirt when it comes out, I love that pattern! The Polka Dot Cafe Capris are actually really lovely in person, very flattering and well made, but they were just too bold a pattern for me (and I bought those crazy plaid wool cafe capris from the 2011 holiday rollout!).

    Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for trying the long number 2 pencil skirt! I haven't seen a review of it elsewhere and it's been sitting in my cart for ages. I would get the boring black, however it's a black skirt I need to fill a wardrobe need and I'd never wear a bright green. My only lingering question is, what do you think about the wrinkle factor? I have a big fear that by the time I drive to the office and then I sit for a meeting or two, I'll look like a mess. Did you get any feel for that during your try on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Desert Flower,
      The lining of those skirts is very nice and smooth, I think that should help with the wrinkling, but since they are cotton, they will wrinkle. If you are OCD about wrinkles, (strangely, I am not), I wouldn't buy them, but it should not be any worse than any other lined cotton pencil skirts.
      I think basic black will look great in this skirt!

      Delete
  15. Hallo wunderschöne frau..dein foto gefällt mir..du bist echt süsse..hübsche.du siehst super sexy im rock aus...geiler weiter rock gefällt mir wow geiler glockenlederrock....würde gerne mal live sehen wenn du den rock trags....l.gwow was für süsse wunderschöne traum frau.....was für sexy geiler glockenlederrock.....................du gefällt mir....l.g... traum von frau....dich zu lieben ist ehre....

    ReplyDelete