Monday, April 9, 2012

Being Scarflett O'Hara

As you may know, I was planning to return at least some of my Bloomingdales order and after some deliberation I selected the DVF Whisper Silk Scarf to be the sacrificial lamb.

Here was my logic:
  • The scarf is too delicate and easy to snag
  • I don't really wear scarfs other than in the winter
  • It costs too much money
These are all perfectly good reasons and I am a reasonable person. So I packed the scarf and decided to return it upon my next visit to the mall.

Then I decided to try it on, one last time. Couldn't hurt, right? Hmmm....

This was the original styling idea:


As a scarf. Duh!
But... I could wear it as a cover up, when we visit European churches and arms need to be covered... I am not planning a trip at this moment, but you never know... Look how nicely it works:

As a wrap












As I had it on, I thought how it magically become quite substantial. With a little belt, it almost works as a top:

Impromptu top
How fun! What if we are on a beach holiday and I can use it as a sarong?  Heck, I can even make a skirt out of it... Not to wear to the office of course, but to stroll around the pool, in some tropical destination... Forget that we are not really big fans of tropical destinations. With a skirt like this, we may as well turn out to be the ones...
 
Sarong

Actually, it is like two-skirts-in-one, because you can play with the pattern:
Ha!
back view

And since we are somewhere tropical, I can wear a  halter top, why not?

Halter top
Or even a tube top!  Remember, I said "tropical destination". It means everybody is at least tipsy,  so nobody really cares that you are wearing a tube top.

Tube top!
And what if we are stranded on deserted island and I have nothing to wear and we get invited to a ball?  I can play Scarlett O'hara and make a dress out of the curtains, I mean, out of my DVF scarf, no?

the possibilities are endless...

Invited to a ball on deserted island??? OK, you got me, but you know what I mean...

Looks like I will not need to buy another piece of clothing ever again. Genius!

Wait, what do you mean by 'not need to buy Ever Again'???

Maybe I should return it, after all...

***

What do you think?
This post could also be titled " Warning! Mind of a shopaholic at work."

Do you ever do that?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

27 comments:

  1. This really cracked me up. It really is a beautiful scarf:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I think the scarf has posessed you! I bought it's sartorial twin on Saturday - scarves are so worth the money.... It is truly lovely! I think it wants to stay....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am posessed, yes that's a good way to put it WMM... Which scarf did you buy?

      Delete
  3. What a winner, I love it as a wrap, dress etc as you can really see the pattern on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pattern is what I fell in love with it in first place.

      Delete
  4. Hilarious!
    Yet it does seem magical, morphing into all those different shapes... I think it has properties beyond "scarf".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, thanks, it is an ultimate clothing item, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. You are so funny, LOL! Justify it by saying it is not JUST a scarf, it's a wrap, shawl, scarf, cover-up, all for the price for one so it's actually a steal!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scarf wants to stay... I think you will make a lot of use of it and will miss it when it's gone. Keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I love scarves- so much potential, and the print is really lovely and apparently versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so creative. What you should do is to take the price of the scarf and divide it by the number of things you turned it into (close to 10?), and then maybe it would seem like a bargain LOL

    I love the pattern of this scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Greta, yes, there is all kinds of math that can be used here...

      Delete
  9. This is the print I fell in love with, and my "good" blouse for spring/summer is DVF in this print. It does have some kind of secret magnetism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to see your blouse fred, will you let us have a peek on your blog, please?

      Delete
  10. when i'm done typing this i'm running into my bedroom to pull out a similar scarf and see how many looks i can get out of it. i esp like the sarong for the beach...so cute! i love the idea of a ball on a desert island. only a j. crew addict would have that event covered:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sure you can come up with so many ways to use it and you are in better location for wearing ut all kinds of ways...

      Delete
  11. Scarves are so versatile and the pattern on this one is so intriguing. There are infinite ways to tie a scarf for any season, you've done a good representation here. Although I'd nix the tube top with belt look, no matter how many drinks I don't think that one will quite work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, you are right about the tube top, probably will never work but we can have fun here...

      Delete
    2. Of course, definitely meant it in fun. I always remind myself on vacation that no matter how tipsy the guests, the camera is always sober! LOL

      Delete
  12. Such a clever post! Your scarf is a keeper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even with the countless ways you found to wear it..I say, return:/ I wonder if you really would wear it all those ways and where the cost per wear would actually end up? I think the fact that you were heading to return it, is telling. Food for thought:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweetsy, thanks! I think you are probably right, this is all fantasy scarf wearing more than anything else. Probably only as a wrap, maybe a sarong but. like I said I am not even big on beach vacations...
      It is just hard to let go of something beautiful.

      Delete