Thursday, September 6, 2012

Colorblock silk V-back dress and Blythe in Shallow Sea

Despite many iterations that J.Crew came up with in the last couple of seasons, I don't own a Blythe blouse. It is a nice classic shirt but none of the colors ever interested me. But the Shallow See shade is beautiful and I decided to order it with the last 30% off sale.

Size 6
The color did not disappoint, it is absolutely delightful shade of sea green. It looked beautiful with leopard pencil skirt. I took my usual size 6 and it fitted well with no gaping. The silk is soft but substantial and not see through  The sleeves are long and the front placket is just the right length for tucking in. It also looked OK untucked with trousers.


The cut did not wow and it just has too much going on imo.  The gathering at the shoulders, combined with the pockets made me feel more top heavy than I already am The Shallow Sea color, while gorgeous, turned out to be an orphan item in my closet, with not too many things to pair it with.

I returned the blouse without regrets the very next day.

***  

Colorblock 
silk V-back dress
Colorblock silk V-back dress
I spotted this dress when it first debuted on the website and it was one of my picks from the collection. Later on, I realized it was made of poly and I lost interest. However, after reading a review by Judicious Shopaholic and  seeing how great it looked on her,  I decided to give it a try.

The outer shell fabric is mostly synthetic (with 15% silk, I think) but the lining is acetate and the dress does not feel 'clammy' against your body.  On the other hand, how can they call it silk is beyond me.

I ordered my regular size 6. I was afraid that if I size down the waist will be too small. This was a right call and the fit of the 6 was good. There was definitely too much room in the hips but the fabric just stays there and does not look too big. The dress is slightly high waisted but this actually created nice shape skimming over the tummy area. The neckline is pretty but it definitely needs a necklace. I liked the horizontal lime stripe at the bottom, it is very striking and adds visual interest. The length is also good and appropriate for any special event .




Of course the main attraction of the dress is the back view. And this is where I had a problem. One of the reasons I decided to order the dress was that Judicious Shopaholic mentioned that she was able to use regular bra with strap extender. I did not have one and to try the dress I used one of those stick-on bras (that I hate!). I think you could use the strap extender but keep in mind that the v is pretty low.

The problem was that the fabric in the back was sticking out away from my body and I think the straps would be visible from that angle. Also, the bow is very hard to tie without help, unless you are very dexterous.

fuzzy back view
Another issue I had was that the dress was navy. For some reason, I could not wrap my mind around the idea of a special event dress in navy. I would much preferred that the dress was black. Don;t take me wrong, I love navy and have many navy pieces, they are perfect for work and casual wear but I cannot shake off the association with sailors, schoolgirls and business wear territory. I read somewhere that 'nobody ever wants to put a hand on a knee of a woman wearing a navy dress'. Maybe that's way navy is so perfect for work, it communicates that we mean business and nothing else.

In the end I returned the dress because I realized that when I run through some possible occasions to wear it  in the foreseeable future, I just could not picture myself wearing it.

***
That's all folks!

Do you own a Blythe?
Have you tried the Collection dress? Do you wear dresses with exposed back?
Would you wear navy in the evening?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

16 comments:

  1. Wow that is a low back but it's stunning. I don't have any need for fancy dresses, I'm trying to keep reminding myself of that.
    Loving "orphan" I have two orphans in my wardrobe - I don't want to buy any more orphans either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tabs! Resisting orphans, is this mean?

      Delete
  2. The fabric saddens me. The colors are so rich and unusual. I do wear dark navy( and seek it out) all the time for special occasions. I am so tired of black. I saw a customer with the Collection skirt in the same colors at the GSP trying to buy a coordinating top. The colors were stunning. That is a particularly low back, but it looks very nice on you. Of course, if you were not convinced, you were right to return it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ITA about the fabric, I guess it would not sound enticing if they called it 'Colorblock polyester v-back dress'?

      Delete
  3. The dress looks fantastic on you, but I can't help think of Olive Oyl's skirt when I see this dress. That yellow stripe just looks so out of place on an otherwise elegant dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dress on you. I didn't give it a second look when I saw it on the website, but now I think it has potential. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryeb! I think it is pretty and can be very striking if you have an even to wear it to.

      Delete
  5. The dress looks lovely on you, not everyone could pull off the exposed back V.

    I bought the Blythe in purple last year and returned it. The silk seemed cheap to me and the finishing was just not nice. The white buttons didn't help either, although they aren't as noticeable on the shallow sea color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not convinced I can pull it off but thank you for the compliment! Yeah, the Blythe was rather disappointing and blah.

      Delete
  6. I was in the minority when the Blythe came out, completely agree with xoxo's reaction, and I hated the way the collar lay, and the little gathers an inch below the shoulder... and flimsy slippery fabric which might pass a lab test as silk, but didn't pass my "rubbing fingers" test. Not that I'm being grouchy or anything.

    Re: orphans. I have to hit myself on head with frying pan to keep from buying velvet party dresses. The most recent ones are cut to look great in restaurants, but 7 weeks of the year? I'll be dining out in winter every night without repeating an outfit, which is not a good thing if you're dining out with the same guy every time! -- oh, no, it's not new, it's from when I couldn't sleep that time 2 years ago and turned on the computer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know i love your 'grouchy old lady', lol. Funny about your velvet dresses but when you have so many he cannot keep track anyway, rigth?

      Delete
  7. Wow, I didn't realize the collection dress was kind of va-va-voom in the back - suddenly from corporate to cocktails!

    I only have the Blythe shirtdress, which I think fits really well but I don't like the shirt, I always found the fit to be kind of blousy, if you know what I mean. It is a pretty color though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the back would be quite a surprise when you turn around, I have to say like the idea of it!
      Why do they keep making Blythe after Blythe? Although I did like the off white/beige polka dot one but I would keep it oversized and untucked.

      Delete
  8. I love the dress on you, but I agree - if you do not have an occasion for wearing it and if it doesn't make you swoon, it is best to take it back and wait for the right one!!! WIsh i had a back that looks as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WMM! Trying to stay strong with no buying anything for the imaginary self.

      Delete