Friday, September 28, 2012

Polka dots, tweed skirt and Harper boots


Nothing can escape the collective attention's of the JCAs.

A picture of this sequined polka dot tee only appeared on the website for a few hours before J.Crew realized their false start. The pictures were promptly removed from the website and the items did not show up in yesterday's small update. But never fear, I spotted the tee at the concept store last Monday and I have a review for you!

Polka Dot Sequin Tee:

Tee size Medium, skirt size 4, boots 8.5
This tee fits TTS to small, I took a size Medium, which is bigger of my sizes and it was a good fit, with not too much extra room. I think I could have squeezed into a Small, but it would have been a close fit and the tee would probably feel more itchy. I liked that the sleeves are a little longer, almost elbow length, especially if you wear it around Holidyas. The overall length is long enough (on most people) to wear with low rise jeans but not too long to wear with skirts.

It also comes in ivory with black dots.

Fits TTS to Small
$128, 100% cotton (sans sequins)
Inside out

It is not lined, but surprisingly, it did not seem very itchy. It has some extra fabric lining around the neck which helps. I still would have preferred that it was lined. I am not very sensitive but the zigzag sequin dress for example, was unbearable. This tee, I think I could wear, although I would have to try it for a second time to confirm. 

Overall, I really liked the tee. I don't  need any more sequins or polka dots, but the tee is flattering and fun, imo. I can picture it worn with a full silk skirt for a party or with jeans (or black pants) for a night on the town. The sequins seemed securely attached and the workmanship seemed good. The price is pretty high, but if you have places to wear it, and with 25% off, it is acceptable imo.

***

  Tweed pencil skirt.


It comes with matching jacket which you can see in my last post.

$138

Fabric: 50% wool, 37 acrylic, 9 % nylon, 4% polyester, lining 100% polyester. I took my regular pencil size and the fit was good if a little loose. It sat a little lower on my waist, so it appears longer. The fabric is pretty substantial but it did not seem to add too much bulk in the hips. Then again, it is not usually my concern.

Overall, it is a pretty skirt and it fits well but I am afraid it will pill because of the acrylic. Again, I much prefer the older tweed skirts made of mostly wool. The color is pretty, but I can substitute it with bright dahlia double serge wool pencil that I already own.

*** 

Harper leather
 boots
Harper leather boots


In black

Harper leather boots were on my lists of 'maybe' items. I liked the smooth leather that is easy to take care of and the minimalistic design.

Size 8.5
Zipper detail

They fit TTS. I took my regular size and the fit was good. They are quite comfortable. The leather is not very thin like it was in some of the boots last year and it is double layered. However, it was rather stiff and cheap looking irl. The zipper is (very) exposed. When I was first putting them on I had a funny feeling that I switched left with right. I even become a little confused when zipping them up.

Then I realized why. The zipper is on the outside of the leg! Most boots (at least the ones I own) have the zipper on the inside of the leg. I was not a fan. In fact, I would always prefer to have pull on boots with no zippers. But since I have a high instep and can never pull on flat boots, I have resigned myself to necessity of zippers, but I still don;t like them more prominent that they have to be.


They were comfortable and medium wide

For the price of these shoes, you can definitely do better. I have passed several pairs of nice black leather boots in similar styles in Lord and Taylor shoe department (which I usually pass on my way to J.Crew store). Most of them were under $200.

I am scratching these of my list.
***

That's all folks!

Do you like any of the reviewed items?

Do you wear J.Crew boots?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

25 comments:

  1. Good call on the boots, those exposed zippers really date them. I don't buy J Crew boots with the exception of the short Ryder boots, and I have not yet worn them this year so they may have been a waste of money!
    The polka dot tee is fun and as you point out a great holiday item. Nothing is interesting me these days, I saw my UPS bf yesterday while I was out walking and he commented on never coming to my house anymore, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also saw my UPS man at the local parking lot and he asked me if my computer was broken !

      Delete
    2. I definitely have less packages coming. And it would be even less if I wasn't trying some things on just for this blog.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reviews ajc!I don't need the sequin top, but it's fun to look at it. It seems little short, but that's probably b/c JC always used to do everything a little longer (which I love), and it's strange to see all the shorter lengths. I agree with you on the boots. There are so many better boots out there IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that it is shorter because I think it looks better with skirts, some of the J.Crew tops are really long and bunch up, this would not be the case here but I still thing it is more versatile for most people. Of course for those that are really tall or with long torso and want to wear it with low rise jeans this may be too short...
      Boots were awful, they look more like rubber boots :(

      Delete
  3. The zippers are awful, I see you have my problem - gaping at the top of the boot, I usually have to try on about 100 pairs to avoid that, and I exercise so I don't have muscular calves.
    I haven't liked anything at J Crew recently bar basics, it's all very child like with the big polka dots and the short short dresses, maybe I'm just getting too old for it now. Did you see the outfit, they put underneath the tipped jacket - what an eyesore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zippers look like the were scratched by Edward Scissorhand. The gaping I think is exacerbated by the fact that there is no shaping to the boots, they just widen straight up with no curve.
      Oh, that outfit is horrendous, what a mess!

      Delete
  4. ajc, I hate the zippers. Why did they have to put them on the outside!? If you don't mind eBay, the glenbrae boots from 2008 had a partial zipper the started at the bottom and went up maybe 8" or so. I have really high arches and so I need a zipper too, and the glenbraes are really easy to put on and the zipper is not prominent. My gray suede ones are still going strong after all these years. New pairs pop up on eBay from time to time.

    Thank you as always for the wonderful reviews! that skirt is just terrible with the acrylic content. Pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really confused by the stupid zippers, hopefully they are not the new sequins, lol.
      I have the Glenbraes in black leather with half zipper. I love them but they don;t read black to me, more like dark gray...

      Delete
  5. Do you have a boot jack? This is a little wooden device equestrians use to get there fierce tight riding boots on and off. My daughter used to ride so we have an old one-- key to not getting stuck in tall boots.

    Outside zippers on boots--no.

    Not one tempting dress at JC, agreed, Tabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a boot jack, maybe I should get one, I will google them now, thanks for the tip Lane!

      Delete
  6. The sequin top looks great on you, they nailed the fit on that one.

    Those awful boots are priced at $378 for Canadians. These Black Fleece flat boots are sale priced at $375 (would have been $281.25 with F&F promo) and they are amazing. I also have a high instep but I can pull the BF boots on and off without issues and they fit like a glove with minimal gaping at the top, which is usually an issue for me. I reviewed them HERE. I know I sound like a broken record sometimes but there is quality out there at comparable prices, especially since J.Crew has been jacking up their prices and the quality has tanked.

    I agree with you on the acrylic content, the skirt and jacket look fuzzy already. I don't like the pattern either, it looks like upholstery. As always, thanks for sharing the previews/reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those Black Fleece boots are beautiful but there are only left in size 6 :(
      ITA, the price at J.Crew is not even close to the value, it is almost insulting that they think they can pull it off...
      Upholstery, I knew it reminded me of something... I think it is not that bad but the acrylic kills it for me, I hate pills and fuzziness.

      Delete
  7. I like the top but like it better when it is more fitted like on the model. Think it would look great with white wool pants and cute black or red shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I took my smaller size it would be more fitted. I just prefer it loose. I like your styling idea!

      Delete
  8. I agree with shopwithm and sega61 - I was kind of drooling over the top on the model because it appeared more fitted and sweater-like and it seems that IRL they actually styled the sequinned top like a reg tee shirt, which kind of kills it for me. Aw well, that's a $100+ saved for me. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, you should try it in smaller size if you like it, I think it would be fitted then. May be more itchy though.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for these great reviews!!! I'm loving that pencil skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would like the pencil skirt Rynetta, the fit was great.

      Delete
  10. My Frye Erin boots just came and they are very beautiful. Similar price but this company has been making boots since the Civil War, so I know they know quality. I agree with you, for the price or under you can definitely get something a lot better!

    You look great in all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely you get better quality with Frye. I think J.Crew shoes are really mostly styling accessories...

      Delete
  11. thank you for these reviews - i love the sequin top. LOVE! i can see the issue with the boot zipper though.

    xox P

    phiphisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo I really like the sequin top, but not having a lining makes it unappealing for me - especially if its that expensive!

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I kindly disagree on the boots, I think they look very sleek and I liked the leather IRL
    I agree that there are many options out there but when you are really determined to get a pair it can be very difficult to find "the" perfect one (without jumping in another category that costs much more). I just ordered a pair of Enzo Angiolini and while they look great from the front, they look cheap in the back. I regretted not ordering the Harper with the promo but then it is probably for the best because they will go on sale (they always do).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that sequined polka dot top ! I actually ordered it online ysterday and can't wait to get it ! Actually thanks, I was hesitating betweet two sizes and I took the bigger one, just as you did !
    My Blog - A Pretty Nest

    ReplyDelete