Thursday, June 21, 2012

Attaché dress in seersucker



This is just a super quick review of Attaché dress in seersucker. I know some of you were curious about this dress and how it fits and you can now get it on sale with extra 30% off, which I think is a reasonable price for a well constructed dress that you can wear for the rest of the summer.
 
I have liked this dress from the moment I saw it but I was waiting for the price to drop. On Monday I have placed the 30% order and I added this dress as ride-along to get the free shipping. I thought in the worst case I will review it for this blog. But yesterday the price dropped so I called the CS and received the $88 adjustment.

I was not sure about the size of this dress.I have last year superfine cotton version in size 6 (see it HERE) that is actually quite roomy but the linen/jute version from this year was barely fitting my chest in size 8, although the hips were huge (see HERE).

After getting the measurements I decided to order size 8.

Attache in Seersucker:
The measurement across the shoulder in size 6 is 13 inches and it's 13.25 inches in size 8.
The waist circumference in size 6 is 30.25 inches and it's 31.25 inches in size 8.
The hip circumference in size 6 is 42.5 inches and it's 43.5 inches in size 8.
The chest circumference in size 6 is 36 inches and it's 37 inches in size 8.

Attache in Linen:

in size 8, the bust is 37.25 inches,
the waist circumference is 32.25 inches,
the hip circumference is 43 inches,
the center back bodice length is 13.0625 inches,
and the center back skirt length is 22.75 inches.


The chest measurement was about the same in size 8 as my cotton 6, waist was one inch smaller and hips were 2-3 inches bigger. The measurements did not sound too encouraging for my figure but I was determine to try it in person because from my experience they are not always accurate and each fabric falls differently.

Well, the dress arrived today and I rushed to try it on immediately.


It is a beautiful dress and just rigth for the summer.



The good news is size 8 fits me great in the chest. I think there is more room here than in the linen version and about the same like in last year's size 6. Waist is about the same or a little smaller and I like that. It has a back zipper (concealed) , single back vent and great length.

Unfortunately the hips ARE too big on, like I feared.I think it is less pronounced that the linen/jute version because the fabric drapes better and it is not so stiff, but yeah, there is plenty of room. This is good news for all of you pear shaped beauties, go with your chest measurement and the hips will fit.


Here I am holding it back, for the approximation of how it should fit.
 

Of course, I could get it tailored. I have a great tailor and I know she would make it look great but I hate to spend the money. The idea was to get this dress at a great price! What I also thought is that I could just stitch the fabric folds in front about 2 inches and I think that woudl do the trick.
 

It may be good to have this extra room in the skirt fir the summer heat. 

***

That's all folks!
What do you think?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

17 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. I'll pass due to the roominess in the hips, and I wish those little tabs at the waist were just a leeeetle bit lower.

    Much appreciated, AJC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tabs could be lower but it is not too too bad.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great review. I think you look cute in the dress, but would look 100 times better if it was taken in across the hips. How about taking in an inch so you still have comfort for summer without so much extra fabric? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right 100% Julie! I just don't know if I want to pay for alterations.

      Delete
  3. Are you sure that the 6 would be too small in the chest? Maybe in this fabric the 6 will fit juzt fine. I would order it today so you can get the 30% off and decide. Great work dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not going to do it but I am tempted to order a 6. But the chest seems to be just right in 8, oh decisions...

      Delete
  4. Argh, I'm about your size, 5'6, 135-140 lbs and I went with the 4 because that is the size I take in most of the JC dresses I've tried. My hips are full so that's my prob area but I called for measurements and compared to the measurements in the Lucille dress in the same size and the seersucker was more generous so I hope the 4 will fit and that I won't have to return it for a 6. I'm in Canada so by the time it arrives the sale will probably be over.
    Thanks for the review by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of you usually take 4 then it should fit, I think this is tts but better on pears, I wear 4 in many bottoms but 6 or 8 in tops so I have opposite proportions but it should work on you. I should have said that if you are pear and small chested you can probably size down in this one.

      Delete
  5. It is a perfect work dress for summer, and it really fits into your story.
    I agree with Ema to try the 6 as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! That's why I desperately want it to work I guess.
      Ok, I caved and ordered size 6, what can I say, I am hopeless. I added Filigree jacket to get FS

      Delete
  6. I thought this would be a huge seller for JC btw, but it was marked online only. I didn't like the course linen/jute version of this dress so I was really happy when they put out a cotton version. Seersucker is classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also liked it from the moment I saw it, ikwym Dagmara.

      Delete
  7. I've been eyeing this dress too and waiting on a sale. I ordered it in both a 4 and 6 yesterday...fingers crossed that one of them works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know please! Fingers crossed. Hope you will post a review on your blog :)

      Delete
  8. Aw, that's too bad that it doesn't fit as expected. I was thinking about this dress as well but I'm sure it won't fit me on the bottom either. It seems J.Crew is cutting the dresses for a curvier frame now. Did the waist seem high to you? It looks that way to me but it could be just the photo. Thanks for this review ajc.

    BTW, your link the J.Crew page for the dress throws an error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes xoxo, I think you will have the same problem. I am sure many like the new fit at jcrew but I sure miss the more straight cut. The used too have many pencil skirt bottom dresses :(
      I will try to fix the link, thank you for pointing it out but I noticed links not working on many blogs, I wonder why?

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for the review! I'm not sure how this will fit on me, since I'd likely need a 2 to accommodate my bust but that will definitely be too big in the hips. It's too bad, my cotton version from last year is one of my favourite summer work dresses.

    ReplyDelete