Monday, February 18, 2013

Spring Catalogs - Michael Kors

Most of the days I find a catalog or two in the mailbox . It is a terrible waste of paper because they usually go straight to recycling bin. That includes the J.Crew catalog, which sadly no longer inspires me or makes me lust after the outfits. It is not even that I find the styling forced or unwearable irl. Recently, they are just... whatever.

But I was a little bored this weekend, so I browsed through the pile of catalogs before taking them down to the basement and I have found some looks that I liked. The first few are from Michael Kors spring catalog.


For some reason, I was never smitten with Michael Kors. I am not sure why because it seems to be very close to my style. His colections usually include a lot of typical American sportswear separates with modern, clean lines, lots of neutrals and safari tones with shiny gold hardware details.  I think it might be that shiny gold details that often make it look too flashy and somewhat ostentatious imo. 

However, I really like the whole look above, the color and shape of the leather jacket, the Hamilton bag, mix of saddle, ecru and gray, the Aviator sunglasses. I could totally wear it all, just maybe with long pants, instead of shorts.


Here is another look from the catalog that I love. And I am strangely attracted to the tie-dyed jeans, both in blue and green, however my daughter strongly endorsed the green ones.


Currently all of the clothes are only available on pre-order, you can check it out here

What is attractive about MICHAEL Michael Kors line is that is is still somewhat affordable with prices very comparable to J.Crew Collection. And it usually goes on significant sale if you wait long enough, plus, since it is available in many stores, you should be able to get some kind of promotion applied.   Another thing is that it is all very wearable and practical. Even the styling of the catalogs can easily translate to irl looks, there is nothing over the top, shocking or clownish. Does it mean that it is too predictable?

I have to admit, I don't have any experience with the label since  I never bought anything. So I would be very interested in your opinions. 

What do you think? Have you bought anything from Michael Kors? Do you like anything from the Spring 2013 collection? What do you think about it in terms of style, quality and value.

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

14 comments:

  1. Oh I've always loved his aesthetic, that American sportswear look is a favourite of mine even though I don't get why it's called sportswear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is called sportwear because it was initially influenced by clothing worn to sporting events, back in the beginning of the 20th century.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I always like his runway shows, but never really looked at his rtw in store. I think it was the big gold logo that kept me away from the leather goods, although I like his style. I think the garments in the MICHAEL Michael Kors line(the affordable line) tend to have more synthetic blends which is , among other reasons why I kept defaulting to J Crew. They just seemed to use more natural fibers than other bridge groups at a relatively reasonable price point.I really like the first photo, and could really see wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Michael Kors is almost like Ralph Lauren when it comes to different pricepoints and, unfortunately, all the cheaper lines use a lot of synthetics. But even the higher price does not guarantee the natural fabric and J.Crew is moving away from them too :(

      Delete
  3. I really like his style too. Simple, chic and accessible. The striped Hamilton/outfit on page 22-23 really spoke to me. Will be adding some cognac/luggage colored shoes/handbags to my spring wardrobe. I love the clean lines of the Selma handbag and will be stalking one for my closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that look with striped tote is great, I agree. I already have the luggage colored handbag otherwise I would be tempted. Well, I am tempted, but I am trying to be sensible ;)

      Delete
  4. I have a few Michael Kors pieces, dressy black safari shorts, a grey velvet jacket, a couple of dresses. I find the quality quite reasonable for what it is. I accidentally walked into the WRONG (for me) Kors store in NYC and the cheapest item was a belt for $800 and there was a guard at the door!

    My larger summer bag (not a Kors) looks very similar to the one she is holding and I really love it.

    Having said that, he tends to use poly so you do have to watch what you order. But it is well cut and very good quality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know, I was just looking at a beautiful dress for only $190. Only it was $1990... oops
      The dreaded poly, I know... But glad to know that you find the quality good.

      Delete
  5. I like Michael Kors too but must agree that as it has become more popular there is more poly in it. However it goes on promo quickly and bargains are easy to find here in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what I like the most are the accessories, handbags, watches, glasses and the leather jackets rather that dresses and such, so I worry less about the fabrics, but yes, everything is now full of poly, rayon and acrylic.

      Delete
  6. In the past, I have avoided the Michael line because of the synthetic fiber content of the clothing and the logos on the accessories. However, I liked the styling in the latest catalog and may go to see the jacket in the first photo IRL.

    I own several of the chunky sweaters and a couple of dresses from the higher end line. The chunky cashmere is very good quality - similar to RL Black label. I've had good luck finding pieces at deep discounts at Saks & NM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes like the shapes of his bags, though not that giant logo.

    The rest is too all-American sportswear for me, that is not a look that suits me.

    Have you tried reducing your junk mail to save paper? There are a lot of resources online for how to do it. We get a local newspaper, which I suppose I really should read, but it's in German and goes straight to recycling - I need to get off that list or else be more disciplined about attempting to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. catalog choice.org to reduce junk mail
    and the consumer section of the Direct Marketing Assoc I have used both to successfully reduce my junk mail

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason, the Michael Kors look really appeals to my Italian compatriots, the MICHAEL store on Fifth (at Rockfeller) is always packed with Italian tourists. We tend to like blingy logos and that jet-set vibe. I like the look too but I don't own almost anything Michael Kors (expect for a very old zebra-print tunic that I picked up at Loehmann's wore to death), for some reason everything I tried never worked or I lost interest before the item hit sale. If I didn't have "AJC shopping habit" (wink) I would probably pursue some of his offering but I don't come across his stuff so often and I tend to forget about it.

    ReplyDelete