Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hairless Cats or Sperry Top-Sider Boots Review

I was in a need of waterproof warm boots for our sometimes slushy New Jersey winter.  I used to have a pair of North Face snow boots I loved but I gave them to my mother when she was visiting me, since she was always freezing. I was going to replace them, but last year we hardly had any winter and I never got to it.  Since I may need to find a pair this year, I thought I will try the Sperry Top-sider quilted navy boots.

Sperry Top-Sider Quilted Shearwater Boots
The boots are currently on sale for 30% off and Shopathome is running 10% off cashback. To tell you the truth I always thought that all those 'duck boots' are extremely ugly but somehow, in the last year or so, I started to see their appeal and decided that maybe they are like those wrinkled face dogs or hairless cats, so ugly that they become cute. 


They only come in full sizes and they recommend to size up if you are in between, so this is what I did. I think this was a right call and the boots fit me well with thick socks.


They are a bit loose without the socks but given their purpose, I think I would always want a pair of thick socks when wearing them.  I am a small 8.5,  Many times I wear an 8 and almost never 9. I ordered 9 in these.


As for comfort, they seem pretty comfortable but I did not get that super comfy, don't-want-to-take-them-off feeling.


The color is pretty and versatile and the boots look great with skinny pants tucked in. I even tried them with a skirt and they were kind of cute too (in hairless cat style). They have relatively slim profile for snow boots, and this helps imo.


The slim profile may be a disadvantage if you want to wear them with trousers (or any non-skinny pants). You would not be able to quickly tuck them in (say on your way from the car to the office or store) to protect them from getting wet. And I am not sure if quilted shaft is practical, as far as keeping clean and dry in a wet snow.

 
The lining is not a true shearling but it is some kind of wool and it is full. This is great news because I hate when boots are only lined in the shaft area. My feet is the part of my body that gets cold the most, so I like to have some toasty lining there. That said, I don;t think these shoes would be very warm in extreme temperature. There is something about the rubber and having your feet so close to the ground that makes me think that I will still freeze if the temperature drops below 25F.

 

I do like the shape of them and the quilting and shearling look very nice. I like the look of the leather laces but I don't like to manipulate them. They are hard to adjust since they are so thick and kind of stiff. It would be easier if you would lace them using the hooks but they are threaded though the loops except for the top pair. This is a problem for me because I like to have boots that I can easily pull on. I would want to use them after skiing and when you are dead tired and cold you just want to change quickly.


My other issue was color. I love navy but my Wintress puffer and my ski jacket are both charcoal, so I think I would prefer black. For a moment I was contemplating a pair of black and white Sperrys, but I think the white will scuff  too easily and look huge.

I have talked myself out of keeping them...
Overall, I think they are great looking boots, but for me they are not practical. If your coat is navy or camel and you don;t mind fussing with the laces you may like them better. Writing this review convince me to return them and look for a pair of North Face pull-ons.

My apologies to any hairless cats owners out there, I do think they are sweet,  in their own way...

***
That's all folks!

What do you think of Sperry Top-sider boots?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

25 comments:

  1. Love your socks! Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mine but my feet were still cold in them today. I find them super comfy and bouncy, like slippers.
    30 percent off? Boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the rubber, I cannot stay warm in rubber shoes.

      Delete
  3. Oh and I agree the laces are hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you were just in time with this today, thank you! I was going to order the navy in 9 but was having second thoughts about the quilted sides. I remember LL Bean "duck shoes" from childhood, will have a look there. I agree about chilly feet, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SA was trying to convince me that the quilted sides will not be a problem but I have doubts.

      Delete
  5. Great review! I have duck shoes for spring and much prefer my Hunter original clogs but for some reason I was actually considering these in the camel with the leather shaft. I thought they might be good for mucking around in the dog park but I do have Hunter wellies for that and Hunter is hard to beat for those messy wet days.

    When it's really cold I am wearing my UGG Adirondack boots. Nothing keeps my feet warmer than real shearling and I love that I can wear them with bare feet and still be toasty. They are somewhat similar to these in style but they do have speed laces and you can wear the shaft flipped up or folded down for a different look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those UGG Adirondack boots and I really like them. I tried the J. Crew Sperry tall boots in the tan color, because they're so cute, but they were too small, and I didn't need them or like them well enough to re-order in a size up. Like you, I have other boots that cover it, and like ajc, I prefer a boot you can pull on quickly (which you can with the Adirondacks). I think the blue quilted ones are really cute too. I also used to think duck boots were ugly and now I like them. The UGG Adirondacks are a bit duck-ish, don't you think? Thanks for the review ajc!

      Delete
    2. I looked up the UGG Adirondacks and they look great, I have to check them out. I think the Sperrys are cute but I decided that a pull on is what I want.

      Delete
  6. I want a pair too but I never know how that will work out with other pants besides jeans and anything "skinny"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I think the non skinny pants may be a problem as you cannot really tuck them in.

      Delete
  7. Totally agree with you. As I see more and more of boots this style, they slowly grow on me. They can be practical for slushes but the chore of tying laces in the winter is too much work for me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I convinced myself that I cannot do laces either...

      Delete
  8. Love them on you and I always have had a soft spot for these. The laces will break in and I think the navy would look good with charcoal jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice but I think I will keep on looking...

      Delete
  9. I like them on you, but I agree - you gotta get ones you really love. I have 3 year old Uggs in this style which are real shearling and I truly love them - was glad to find things that kept me warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like real shearling, I agree.

      Delete
  10. I find duck boots OK but I don't think Sperry makes the best pair. If you are looking for more streamlined boots, you may want to check out UGG Brooks Tall II. It's not clunky looking but very comfy and keeps my feet toasty & warm throughout NY winters. It's made of waterproof leather and lined in shearling throughout. Feels great even without socks and easy to slip on and off. And they do last for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your recommendation Marie, they look great! Exactly what I would want but a little more than I want to spend I am afraid...

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the review! I was just about to order them when this popped in to my reader. I need dry *and* warm! think I'll pass, but look in to some of the others mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of cozy things for the winter but really, we only get a little rain so I need to be realistic about boots like this, though I have to have my uggs. BTW, you look so cute in your Hat Weather outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ordered these online, and they came today. I was so excited to wear them- until I put them on. SO TIGHT. They literally hurt my feet. I ordered a 9, I wear an 8.5 usually. The length was great, it was the width. I have slightly wide feet, but it's never been an issue like it was for these boots. I'm so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i had a pair of this style boots from a box store for a low price- I only wore them in slush and to do chores ..they were very waterproof and warm enough with wool socks for most things I needed to do. After about 10 yrs (!) one of the toes cracked and they began to leak, so no longer doing their job. The "quilted" part on mine were nylon, so not sure about that wooly part.

    ReplyDelete