Monday, November 12, 2012

Taste of Cherry

"Taste of Cherry" is an Iranian film about a guy who tries to find someone to bury him after he commits a suicide. It may sound depressing but it is a great cinema and I highly recommend it, if you haven't have a chance to watch it. This post has nothing to do with the movie, and I don't have any such plans, in case I got you worried. I still plan to kick around for a while, fitting room ban drama notwithstanding. I just could not resist a title for some reason. I watch a lot of movies and I suffer from random film title association syndrome.

If you are a regular reader of this blog you may know that I love Liberty of London prints and specifically J.Crew button down perfect shirt in Liberty prints. With the previous round of new arrivals I posted that one of my favorite new items was Liberty perfect shirt in claire-aude in cherry. I decided to order it with the 25% off (plus 9% off cashback and 5% rewards), which brought the price to more reasonable level (although still expensive).


I ordered my regular size 6 and it fits TTS, like my other Liberty shirts (see more HERE). What I did not expect from the website pictures, was that there was so much green in the print. Actually, the same thing happened when I ordered Margaret Anne print, so now I know that the greens tends to recede in the pictures. I thought it was more of a creamy background with red and pink flowers. Even now, when I zoom in, the green looks more like light sage green, but irl it is a rather grassy medium green.


It is still pretty, just not what I expected. It is not that I don't like how the green looks on me, there is just something about the color itself that I have a problem with. Maybe it is that I consider green earthy and traditional, as oppose to urban and modern and this is how I'd rather think of myself?

With the green, the shirt has much more 'folksy' vibe to it, imo.  Instead of fighting it, I decided to double down by wearing traditional coral necklace from my place of birth (Krakow, Poland).


Here is the closeup of the print so you get better idea of the colors. As you can see the coral tones are dominant (the necklace is real coral so you can compare) but there is plenty of dark green. It is rather vibrant, don't you think?


Also wearing my matchstick cords in sage green, stretch denim jacket, Nottingham boots, all by J.Crew and Kate Spade purse.

***
That's all folks!

Anybody watched the "Taste of Cherry"?

How do you like the shirt?
Have you found that certain colors are not reflected well in pictures, even without photoshopping?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!! 

27 comments:

  1. I love the shirt colors; the denim jacket works well with the flowery print-- lovely, AJC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AJC! I bought this shirt too with the 25% promotion, but have not received it yet... You are right, it's a much darker green than I was expecting. And I agree, it is kind of a bummer as I also don't love pure greens, although I do like mint and sage greens... Still, it's an awfully pretty print; I am quite sure I will keep it too. Good for holidays, maybe? Christmas-y but not TOO Christmas-y?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, just opened up the box and unfortunately this one is a return. The colors are too vibrant in a combination I don't love on me. Actually, it's not such a bad thing, as I have spent enough on liberty this season... I suspect that the print also just looks different when you are seeing it on someone (like in your photos) versus looking at the shirt up close -- but I didn't even try it on. I'm willing myself not to like it....!

      Delete
    2. Hi Audreys , I noticed that even iny pictures the intensity of colors is not captured, that's why I too the close up. But you may be onto something when you say it looks different on somebody than when you just look at the shirt.

      Delete
  3. Love this post and I must see that movie!
    I agree the Liberty prints look much different in real life. Those giant flash bulbs J Crew seems to use wash out all of the colors, you never know what you're going to get. It would be like a fun game if it wasn't so annoying!
    Still I think the shirt is so pretty and I love it with your coral necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about giant flashbulbs, everything looks washed out and more subtle. I wish the would have a color swatch close up like some other websites,

      Delete
  4. Great color combo for fall! I love this liberty print :) You matched it very well.

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfit - and your hair and makeup are perfection.

    I have some Liberty fabric, but have never made anything out of it. Have been tempted to buy one of these shirts, maybe I'll do that one of these days. I know Liberty cotton is divine! It must feel great on! :-) Beautiful necklace, what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cotton does feel very nice and I like the fit, the prints are sometimes too much or too ditsy for me but they make me smile and some I truly love.

      Delete
  6. That Liberty shirt looks very pretty on you. I especially like it with the denim jacket. Love your coral necklace, too. If I had tons of money, I'd buy every Liberty print shirt J Crew offered. The prints make me happy!

    Thanks so much for your reviews. I really, really appreciate all the work you do on your blog and look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the denim looks great with those prints even I'd it may feel a little 'country' and 'wholesome'. It may not be sophisticated but it is plain pretty IMO.

      Delete
  7. I love the print, it looks rather Christmasy with the rich red and green. I like how you've styled it with the cords and boots. Your necklace is a real treasure too, jewelry with meaning is so precious.

    I am fairly new to Liberty prints and I have to agree that they look different IRL. I recently bought the navy paisley shirt and I can't decide whether or not to keep it. The print is pretty but it looks sort of like a Western (cowgirl) shirt and in Calgary that is not a good thing. Still, the colors are really beautiful and the print is unique. Maybe if I can style it right, but I'm so challenged when it comes to prints. I've been looking online for ideas but so far, nothing. There is a bit of a gorgeous deep mauvy-purple in it, maybe that is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right xoxo, my favorite jewelry has some meaning or a story attached and then it last forever. Other bubbles I get bored with eventually despite initial infatuation.
      Oh, so now I know what bothers me about that navy paisley shirt! Despite gorgeous colors, it is the 'western' element. I think I can only do 'Southern' country, lol.

      Delete
  8. Christmas-y came to my mind too, it makes me think of poinsettias. I like it a lot, but I think J. Crew doesn't photograph the Liberty prints accurately. The Leo Scarlet print looks nothing like the picture on the web site. Love your necklace too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree about Leo Scarlet, everytime I see it in sore I think it is a different shirt. They really should do color swatches pics.

      Delete
  9. I like the darker green and it's cheerful. It is hard too tell the true colours and I've had a few surprizes . That's one of the reasons I like the pictures on your blog as I can get another view. For example the new Liberty print on sale in Leo scarlet is hard to see on my screen . Do you own it ?
    Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha Leo scarlet does look very different irl. It is very pretty but for some reaso flowers remind me of the wooden shavings left off when you sharpen a no2 pencil. I know it is weird, the colors are very pretty, I actually have a Brora dress in the same print just black color way and it also bothers me.

      Delete
    2. Thanks AJC it sounds like it's similar to a wood block relief print. I know what you mean .

      Delete
  10. I am getting a bit confused with all these Liberty shirts, I think there are too many out right now. I agre that your close-up picture looks nothing like the shirt you are wearing and it could be very Christmasy. You wear Liberty so well, I like them all on you.
    Thanks for the movie recommandation, I love Kiarostami but I had half forgotten about 'The taste of cherries". I will put it in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Ema, jcrew is having a liberty print explosion, they must be selling well. Even in pajamas, I've never seen so many and although I love them I am at the saturation point. There is so many great Iranian films, I also loved the Separation and Persepolis.

      Delete
  11. I am going to look up that movie on Netflix tonight, sounds my kind of thing. The reds in this shirt read as almost brown when they are put with sage green trousers - more Autumnal than Christmasy - but I really like it and think it looks great on your especially with those tan boots and denim jacket. it's funny how taking a photo always makes it look different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if the description does not scare you off you may like it. And you are right, taking picture changes things, something to do with 'choreographing our life' like you say...

      Delete
  12. Awesome post! its really looking cool to wear good quality
    v neck pullover hoodies in awesome colors to rock this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leather Jacket
    uch a casual and cool outfit! Beautiful pictures and background:)

    ReplyDelete