Sunday, October 14, 2012

Oversize Merino Pocket Sweater Review

I never noticed this sweater on the website...

Oversize Merino Pocket Sweater

But I loved it when I tried it on in store. It looks a little different IRL:


Size Small

First of all, it is much more oversized than it looks in the model shot. And since she has it tucked in, you cannot really tell how long it is. I like the fact that it is oversized. It is a perfect sweater to wear over a pair of skinny jeans (or cords) or even leggings. I am wearing smaller of my sizes and it is still slouchy.

It has a good drape and what makes is different from other oversized sweaters from other retailers is that it is made of 100% merino wool. And it is not the usual 14 or 12 gauge knit that J.Crew usually sells. It is 3 gauge and quite hefty, but not too bulky. I could put my fitted jean jacket over it with no issues.



It has pockets! The inside of the pockets is polyester, lining type fabric, better choice imo than if there were knit. The Nightfall Blue is a beautiful deep blue green (teal?). I like it best with slim pants but I think it would also work with long flowy skirt.


We were rushing and the quality of pictures is not great (sorry!), but I think you can at least see the drape of the sweater. I am wearing it with J.Crew Matchstick cords, MacAlister shearling lined booties, stripe pocket tissue tee, Banana Republic messenger bag and a necklace I bough on my recent visit to Israel.

J.Crew is currently running sweater promo in stores with 25% off. You can combine it with 20% off coupon for cardholders, if you have any. This is what I did which brought the sweater to reasonable price imo.

Hopefully, they will have an online sweater promo next!

***
That's all folks!
Do you like the look of Oversize Merino Pocket sweater?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!


19 comments:

  1. Are those light pinkish cords you're wearing? I meant to comment on your pink post that I really liked all your pink outfits, especially the with the pencil skirt and distressed jeans and those pink boots are the best (oh to be wearing boots!).

    It's easy to miss that sweater, but you've brought out all the things to love about it. Looks like something to live in over the weekends and yay for pockets! You look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, those are sandy shade from 2010. I did not wear them much last year but I have been reaching for them often this fall. When I saw the sweater in store I thought it was new because I never noticed it online.

      Delete
  2. I usually ignore oversized sweaters at J.Crew, but you're making me want this one even though I would have to take the larger of my two sizes (it apparently isn't offered in XXS, or is it already sold out?). I'm always on the lookout for non-itchy wool sweaters and I have good luck with merino. My friend just bought a similar-ish sweater from H&M, in a wonderful teal color with functional front pockets, but of course the construction is synthetic and the sleeves aren't full-length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so tiny, it may be too big on you but it is worth the try. Sadly, it is almost surprising now to see a thicker merino knit.

      Delete
    2. I dropped by the J.Crew while I was up in Boston yesterday and the SA did an online search, then a store search, for this sweater in XXS nightfall blue... it popped back briefly in XXS modern red, but the color was too bright for me in an oversized silhouette. I tried the XS in-store but, as I suspected, it was just too big.

      Love the sweater on you though, and I'm still searching for a warm, slouchy sweater!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of this sweater but I don't need any of the colors it is offered in. If it were offered in camel or navy or black I would have bit but teal and orange are too difficult to wear for me. And I have a million grey sweaters so that's not an option. Too bad, it looks great on you. Let's hope that it is sonpopular they will offer it in other colors, as sometimes happens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hope they will make more, I would love it in camel or black.

      Delete
  4. I have this sweater in gray and it's a favorite. Like Ema, I wish it was offered in camel or navy or black, too, because I'd buy another. I don't need this shade of blue or the bright orange/red color. Love the pockets! I went down a size in this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm glad you reviewed this b/c i've had my eye on it since i first saw it. i think it looks great on you! it may be a little too long for me though. thanks again for all you do for us! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will work for you lengthwise but I think it may be too warm for your climate.

      Delete
  6. Love and Want! Thank you so much for the great review!! I love JC's merino. This looks so perfect and cozy for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this one and really liked it for all the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, I swear, everytime I see pockets I am thinking of you. Plus getting a feeling of course :)

      Delete
  8. I have this sweater too and adore it. It looks good with a buttondown peaking out of the top. The pockets are great for storing work ID/security card and tissues for a cold. I agree -- it looks great with skinny cords or velvet pants. Plus it isn't too oversized/slouchy for work, at least my kind of work in tech industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right it is great to have pockets for security badge and such. For some reason I did not think to wear it with button down, thanks for the idea!

      Delete