Monday, October 1, 2012

J.Crew Stadium-Cloth Cocoon Coat Review

Stadium-cloth cocoon jacket
Stadium-cloth cocoon jacket in Dublin Green is a stunning looking coat. Dublin Green is a beautiful green with blue undertone.  Stadium cloth is very soft and substantial. I have 3 J.crew stadium-cloth coats and they are the warmest of J.Crew wool coats. This years fabrication seem even more plush. 

Two-way zipper closure
The coat closes with two-way, heavy duty zipper. Personally I don't like coats closing with a zipper. For me, they are harder to close quickly and I prefer buttons.  My favorites are double breasted trench coats that tie with a belt, like the Boulevard Trench that I bough in 2010. Most of the time, if I am not walking far, I only use the belt and throw on a scarf, it is quickest way to bundle up.

My Elements coat has a two-way zipper and additional buttons and I find myself using only the buttons. I find zippers very fussy and frankly, I never use the two-way function. I guess it is meant to get to the inside pockets without undoing the top (and the scarf), but I don;t remember a single instance of actually taking advantage of it.

Size 6
The coat looks great when it is closed but it looses its cocoon shape.

Can't put your hands in the pockets
I did not like the pockets. It is almost impossible to put your hands in the pockets and there is no side pockets, even the narrow ones they sometimes put on the side of patch pockets. Too bad, because I think accessible pockets are a must in a warm winter coat.

79% Wool, 21% Nylon, Lining 100% Polyester
The fabric and the inside details are very nice, I love the contrast piping!

Inside pocket and piping detail
I don't need a new coat, but if I did, the zipper and the pockets would be dealbreakers for me, but they may not be a problem for others. I liked the fabric and the cut. The Dublin Green color is beautiful. I also saw the smoky coral and it is also a pretty shade.

***
That's all folks!

What do you think of the Cocoon Coat?

Would the zipper closure or the pockets placement bother you?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

19 comments:

  1. Thanks SO much for this review! I love this color! I can't wait to get this beauty in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is beautiful and would be great n you!

      Delete
  2. Bill Cosby called and he wants his sweater back! j/k... that's a very pretty coat. I never thought of it before now but I am same as you with coats. I'll use a belt or buttons but never a zipper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you knew I meant the model pic sweater, not yours!

      Delete
    2. Hi -- I actually sort of like the "Cosby" sweater! LOL!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I knew. Some of those sweaters are head scratchers for me...

      Delete
  3. The colour is stunning but that shape would make me feel fat and shapeless like a big snowman made out of the 'wrong' snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, the cocoon shape is harder to pull off but it sure is more comfortable.

      Delete
  4. Thanks! The pockets issue would be a dealbreaker for me - I once got a JC coat on a final say (I know - big mistake!) and I could not get my hands in the pockets and I am always so cold in the winter that I just gave it away at the end of the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need usable pockets in my coats, it is basic need.

      Delete
  5. Great review! That color is such a lovely alternative for a winter coat :)

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, this color will stand out in the see of neutrals.

      Delete
  6. Lovely lovely colour, It looks smarter closed than open, think I might need a waist somewhere on it. Agree with you about buttons, they really add something timeless to a coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is kind of shapeless opened but I guess that's the style...

      Delete
  7. I love the colour but I don't know about the shape. I like the slim trench style on you and especially the B.B. (on sale of course).
    Once again thanks for showing us the new arrivals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. personally I am big fan of trenches, I think they are flattering on almost everybody. The cocoon shape not so much but it does seems like the next big thing.

      Delete
  8. I'd like a comment on the fit... I have a J Crew peacoat in size 8 that actually fits a little big but I'm pregnant now, but I don't want the cocoon coat to make me look huge(r). Does the coat run large, small, or true to size? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. Pewdiepie Merch

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. club wear

    ReplyDelete