Friday, February 10, 2012

What's up with the white shirts?

Ines de la Fressange

If you'd peeked into my closet (you can do it HERE) you'd see that among my very limited selection of items, there are two white button down shirts. What's up with that? I also have a 3/4 sleeve white lace top and, you bet, there is an elbow sleeve plain white t-shirt in my lounge wear.

The truth is, if I have to pick only one outfit to wear, it would be a white shirt with jeans. I like to imagine I am channeling Ines de la Fressange when I wear it.  Now, don't laugh about the setting. OK, laugh, since apparently I also thought my reflection was hilarious. Is Ines funny, I wonder?

J.Crew white stretch perfect shirt size Medium
White shirts can easily get ruined, but fear not, I have a backup:
Charles Tyrwhitt Size 12 UK
White tops can go casual with rolled sleeves, jeans, hippie necklace and/or funky shoes, or this-time -I-mean-business with trousers and navy blazer. Plain white t-shirt will tone down loud printed skirt. White blouse can go to a party when paired with sparkly pencil skirt. White collar peeking from under a dark v-neck will bring out some light to your face.  I can go on, but you know what I mean.

I LOVE this vintage cotton lace tee but it is very see through
So I am wearing this underneath, similar here
I used to buy my white button downs at Banana Republic but the last time I tried them, the Medium was too tight and gaping at the chest and Large was too big all over. I think they changed the cut becasue they now come in numerical sizes, I should check it out. I like the fit of J.Crew perfect stretch shirts, although the fabric feels a little cheap (thinner, rougher and more prone to wrinkling), they are great for casual wear.

Maybe one day, when I am rich and famous (dream on), I will be buying my shirts from this woman:

Anne Fontaine

But for now, my current favorite white shirt is from a British brand, Charles Tyrwhitt. I like the fabric they use, medium weight, not see through, it feels crisp and smooth. I machine wash it, put it in the dryer for a few minutes then hang it to dry. I only needed a light touch up with an iron, much less than my J.Crew shirt.

cami: Brora,  Trousers: last year's (lined) 1035 in camel
Lisa from Privilege did an excellent post on white shirts and another one on  button downs, check it out. You will also find out that we are actually talking about 'button fronts'. Who'd knew?


Do you wear white shirts? What is your favorite brand? Please, share.

15 comments:

  1. Perfection, white t's are my staple in summer but I only have one white shirt, I'd like another. I suit white more than any other colour, it takes years off me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know why I like them so much, years off, yes please!

      Delete
  2. it is definitly on my shopping list to buy a white shirt.
    i dont own any(gasp)and i definitly need one.
    i stocked up on white tissue tees,but they get yellow so easily and are very see through.
    i hope to read some good suggestions here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ina, you need one! I am officially enabling you :)

      Delete
  3. i'm with you all the way. i love white shirts also. i have 2. one thrifted from gap. it is a mans size small that i adore b/c the fabric is so soft. the other one was a gift fromm alex. double rl and i think it retails for like $200. which i'd never pay but the cut is fabulous. love all the looks you put together here. love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought your white shirt was thrifted. What a nice gift, I want to adopt Alex :)

      Delete
  4. I love white shirts too. I layer just about everything, so I keep about 3 to 4 crisp white shirts in my wardrobe at all times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White shirts go with everything, don;t they? 3 to 4 sounds like a good number to have.

      Delete
  5. I love a white shirt but I like a popover even better, especially one that stays tucked in. My go-to white shirt is the poplin popover from two years ago, it's very crisp but I feel less constricted than in a button down. Another one that I love is an old Gap in a Oxford cotton, very soft.
    I love that lace tee, is it the one from the summer (white) or the ivory one from the Fall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right about popovers Ema, I have a longer one from J.Crew that I love in the summer. Never had I shirt from GAP have to give them a try, they just send me those 40% off coupons. My lace shirt is white, you know I never notice the difference, I thought it was the same shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the mention. I like your white shirts:), and also my Charles Tyrwhitt. Even though I bought it too small:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I think the size conversion for CT is way off. I ordered size 8 US, because I read reviews on their website that said those shirts run small, and I received size 10 UK. For most other brands 12 is between 6 and 8 US. I had to re-order size 10 US to get 12 UK. The 12 only just fits.
      No vanity sizing here.

      Delete
  8. Yay the snakeskin Valentinas! They look great ajc.

    I like white shirts and used to wear a white v-neck tee as part of my uniform in high school. I have quite a few white button-front shirts but most of them are embellished with lace, jacquard, stripes, etc. They are always perfect under a suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi xoxo,
      We can have a white shirt club :)

      I am planning a post on Valentinas and few other fav shoes. Did you notice the Fluevogs? I remember, I have asked you for sizing advice when I ordered them and it turned out perfect!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I thought those were the Fluevog Macchiatos but for some reason I had it in my mind that you were getting them in blue so I didn't want to stick my neck out and be wrong, on shoes of all things! LOL I look forward to your shoe post, you have great taste.

      Delete