Thursday, January 31, 2013

J.Crew new arrivals without crewlade

J.Crew recently updated their website with the new arrivals. Since I am not checking the website on daily or even weekly basis anymore, I would have missed it, if I haven't been an avid reader of JCA and other related blogs. In fact, I have already seen the new arrivals in the store last week when I visited the mall with my friend. Her style is a bit different from mine but she wanted to see the store where I shop, since they don't have J.Crew in Poland. We happened to stop at the outlets first, so we went to the factory store. I am never inspired by factory for some reason and I hardly ever visit but being there with my friend made me step back and look again.

Well, it did not look any better from the distance. In fact, I felt something of mild embarrasment for all the crayola explosion, bad fabrics and cheap look of shoes and accessories. I should not that my friend dresses mostly in solids and does not like brights. Her 'uniform' is simple but it works well for her. She usually wears skinny jeans in dark wash, knit top in green, wine or brown/camel with a long sweater in similar colors. She tuck the jeans in a pair of boots, throws on a black peacoat and jazzes it up a scarf and colorful purse. She is not trendy but likes to feel modern and current. I could tell that all the pencil skirts, flower prints and 'good girl' cardigans did nothing for her.

It wasn't much better in the retail store although she did notice that the quality seemed better and colors less jarring. She liked the Gilded Brocade top, she considered Tartine satchel (until she saw the price),  purple medalion print scarf and she was intriqued by some of the colorful pants. She wanted me to try one of the Lady jackets languishing in the sale section. Overall, I knew she was not impressed, but she tried to be nice and said something about 'not working in the office', as a reason why the clothes did not appeal to her.


I have to say, there was nothing in the store I was lusting after. Absolutely nothing. Sure, some of the new arrivals looked 'nice', but in the end they just left me cold, as 'more of the same'. I liked the Liberty print schoolboy blazer, but I already have flower print blazer that I hardly wear. I liked the medalion scarf. After perusing the website, I added the tweed front tee and mini medalion dress or maybe a skirt (both can be too short and/or too twee) for consideration. 

Of course, it is quite likely that I will warm up to a few more items as the time goes by. However, when I have checked my recent credit card activity and I realized that my last kept J.Crew purchase (stovepipe checked trousers) was from December 3rd! That must be a record for me and I wasn't even trying. Overall, I have been shopping much less and spent less in last 6 months than I used to spend in one. And when I added my last six months purchases, J.Crew was only one third of them. The rest was Nordstrom, Anthro, GAP (boyfriend jeans!), Club Monaco and Ann Taylor .

So, still keeping with the 'no new stuff needed' spirit, my outfit today consists of an old and new(er) favorites: Italian boucle pencil skirt in honey glaze (2007?),  Nottingham boots (2009?), chambray shirt in polka dots (2012), J.Crew super skinny belt, Kate Spade purse and Banana Republic necklace.


However, I did buy something recently that I am excited about, but it is not from J.Crew. I will review it tomorrow!
 


***
That's all folks!

Have you been buying much from J.Crew these days?
Are you excited about any of the new arrivals?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

27 comments:

  1. I would definitely say you are out of crewlade!
    I have to tell you how much I love that skirt, it's a good one. The fit is perfect and it looks great with chambray.
    My JCrew ordering will be way down this year as well. Of course I'm still shopping, I'm making a "major" handbag purchase this year and I would like a new outfit for spring but I am not drawn to the Crew as I was.
    Funny to get the perspective of your friend! That is so interesting, I would have stepped back and viewed the stores in a new light as well.
    Take care! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This skirt is one of my favorites, I agree. It still has the defined waistband and it is longer that they make them now but more tapered.
      It was indeed interesting to get the 'outsider' perspective, after all, most people are outsiders.

      Delete
  2. AJC, I also really appreciate this particular outfit. I have a couple of honey glaze pieces I must put at the front of the closet. The one "basic" I am on the hunt for is a long-sleeve chambray shirt that isn't too thick, faded, oversized or pop-over style. The opposite of what I thought, finally having a JC store in my city and walking distance from me has really curbed my habit. Seeing the merchandise, real colour and quality in real life has actually curbed my buying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI GetFresh,
      I saw a perfect denim shirt at Club Monaco in 2 shades of denim in a very light weight. Great fit and sliming.

      Delete
    2. Marsha, thanks so much! There's a CM in my neighbourhood so will trot over as a lunch break today. This really is a "gap" and I have been wanting to look at their Ivy scarf (a blue & brown bit paisley print IRL too.

      Delete
    3. I do like this shirt and the dots help to brighten it up, often i find regular chambray dull and sucking the light out of my face.
      ITA about shopping in store, so many things are photoshopped and 'styled' to the point they don't resemble the actual irl pieces but unfortunately, this is what we have to wear, lol.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree! I haven't been lusting over much lately but I have been working on replacing clothes that have gotten too old and worn. I do have been wanting the cocoon coat and excursion vest when the extra 40% was on but they never popped back in my size for long enough that I could get them through check out! Funny thing is, it's not bothering me.

    But I must say for new arrivals, I'm much more excited! The color combinations are much more appealing to me. The only thing I've really got my eye on is the butterfly blouse. I hope to splurge on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butterfly blouse is very pretty, I just don;t usually wear green, it is rarely the right shade for me. But I may try it if they have it in stores.

      Delete
  4. Honey glaze is one of my all time favorite J.Crew colors! So beautiful. I am wearing an old favorite today too: the golden roses pencil skirt.

    It seems like many of us have finally been able to step back from the crewlade bowl, which is really great. It is nice to feel in control!

    There are a few things I like from the new arrivals, but nothing I need or will be sorry if I can't eventually get on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ITA about honey glaze, one of my all time favorites!
      It is liberating to be off crewlade, I hope to stay like that.

      Delete
  5. I took a friend from Paris to a JCrew last year and she wasn't impressed at all, she only bought two vintage cotton v-neck tees and only because they were on sale. I think a Parisian couldn't be caught dead in a pencil skirt.
    Good for you to be off the Crewlade. I buy less than before but it still appeals to me if I ban certain categories (pencil skirts, polka dots, blazers, basically all I have too much of)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my friends from work are never impressed with J.Crew, there is something about it that is an acquired taste. Or is it brainwashing? I used to thing people 'don't get it', now I am starting to think I am the one that 'doesn't get it'.
      Sigh.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree Ema and AJC! I have multiple categories banned: pencil skirts, polka dots, stripes, blazers, outerwear. There was nothing in this roll-out I had to have which actually is really refreshing. I am also taking a step back from my JC uniform... it seems a little predictable and has become very identifiable. For some reason it bugs me when people ask "oh, is that from J Crew?" I do think too many people (and other retailers) have adopted the JC look which to me, used to be unique. Now it’s ubiquitous so for me, no longer special.

      Don't get me wrong - I have closet FULL of JC, which I will be wearing - just slowing down on acquiring (see full categories above), and branching out.

      Delete
  6. Same here I miss the UPS man but only made one purchase in all of December and January combined.I'm sure I'll find something but I'm waiting till Spring so it won't sit in the closet.
    Love the combo on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha! ITA about not buying ahead of season, it is a waste.

      Delete
  7. Oh I still like J. Crew (I might be the only one!) ... they're not perfect, but they suit me. I like a lot in the new arrivals and I like the feel of the spring collection, even thought the Lookbook items themselves are not for me. Maybe I just like spring.

    I can understand how J. Crew looked to your friend when you walk in amongst all that crazy color, but it doesn't need to be worn that way. There are some good basics if you get past the color explosion (I find more of the good basics online than I do in the store - the stores seem to carry more of the high impact items). But it sounds like it just wasn't her style altogether. I hope she didn't see those color-blocked pants! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, I will still be buying. It is just getting much more reasonable. I agree that the stores look much more 'in your face' and we have learned to dig up some goodies online. You are right, JC is not my friend's style, she would wear the basics but if you don;t like their colors you can probably get it cheaper somewhere else. She liked Madewell and Club Monaco more and even some less quirky pieces from Anthro.

      Delete
  8. I love that skirt - I always wished I had gotten it! I liked more than I thought I would but I am having no desperation to buy anything! I do plan to go to the store and to Kate Spade, as well as nordstroms in NYC, but I agree - nothing earth-shattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can find some goodies at Nordstrom and Kate Spade. Maybe we can get together when you are here if you have time?

      Delete
  9. i haven't been jumping wildly over many things as compared to before, but that's okay as i discover other brands, and use up the items i truly do love and adore.

    this is such an elegant look - love the colour of your skirt! xox P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Phiphi, I am no longer lamenting that lack of offerings from J.Crew, it is like begging a bad boyfriend to come back.
      Thanks for the compliment :)

      Delete
  10. I love your color combination. I actually wore similarly colored cords today- probably from about the same year- but defaulted as usual to grey and black on top. I love the blue with light brown accessory combination you are wearing.( I do like your bag!) I will have to keep it in mind. I have worn my pants with navy, but not chambray.I am solely drawn to the Liberty shirts because Lodden is my very favorite print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, this bag was the first thing my friend noticed and she LOVED it! Chambray is great with yellow, such a cheery combo, you know sun and the skies, etc. Brown grounds it methinks.

      Delete
  11. UPS is going to think something happened to me because I don't think they'll be seeing much of me over the next month. lol There are a few things that are intriguing, but in the overpriced Collection category. And that's just not attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha gigi, between all of us we may put UPS out of business...

      Delete
  12. I have both those pieces & I never would think of pairing them together. Great eye! I love your boyfiend analogy. I have accepted the fact that crew has moved on to a different look and I'm sticking to mine, so let it be. I am, however, re-discovering "two previous adored". I am loving GAP's cotton offerings lately, sturdier & priced more reasonably while I am currently in love with Club Monaco's merino Riley crewnecks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    This blog is very informative , I am really pleased to post my comment on this blog .

    Ecuador Shop - The best seller online

    ReplyDelete